Pure DWPS ascending licks

Hi All,

I have been studying the Malmsteen and EJ series in parallel since the end of August. Already had great improvements (for my level) in the pure alternate picking section and will soon start with the sweeping parts.

I do not have particular issues in changing strings in descending patterns but, vice versa, my hand gets tensed up and I miss some notes in ascending patterns. I am talking about, for example, the licks called:

1. YJM series: “Six-note Pattern Ascending” and “Six-note Pattern Phrygian Ascending” in the YJM series
  2. EJ series: “Pentatonic box - Ascending”

According to Troy’s video, my problem is related to string tracking issues in the ascending side, which is more difficult as the pick has to travel a longer distance when changing string. Do you have any tips to share specifically on this topic?

Many thanks!

1 Like

Good question! I try not to think about string tracking too much consciously, but that doesn’t mean anything. I could still be doing specific things I’m not aware of.

The pentatonic examples in particular do feel a little different to me because the tracking aspect is so much faster. Meaning, you have fewer notes per string so you have to move across all the strings more rapidly. If you watch examples like these in slow motion:

https://troygrady.com/seminars/cascade/clips/pentatonic-box-asc/
https://troygrady.com/seminars/cascade/clips/pentatonic-box-desc/

…you can see that I’m not really very strongly anchored. The fingers are lightly touching, but the palm is not, especially on the low strings, where it is sometimes completely off the bridge. The strongest anchor point is the forearm against the body, which you can’t see here.

I think that’s a clue. If you place more weight on the forearm part, and less on the hand/fingers, you may have more mobility. It’s almost a floating approach, but not entirely.

I would also try experimenting with this across small distances, like back and forth on two strings, which may may help you get the feel of this.

2 Likes

In my case it’s a syncing issue with ascending pentatonic boxes. Descending is fine but ascending gets sloppy. Like Troy said the tracking is faster so if you’re only using two fingers them suckers have to haul ass across the strings. Also descending pentatonic patterns seem more prevalent in rock/metal so they get more practice.

In conclusion I blame Journey and the Don’t Stop Believing opening lick :slight_smile:

1 Like

When working on DWPS this has been one of my pain points. I’ve been trying to place the palm so all the unplayed strings are always muted. I’ve noticed that as the speed increases my palm wants to lift off from the bottom string when playing on the first string sometimes.

Is this something that I shouldn’t worry about, because any sympathetic vibrations are likely to be short-lived anyway?

When you’re learning these techniques it can be hard to know what’s normal and what trade-offs are involved, because until you reach a certain level the assumption’s always that a bit more practice will take care of it.

1 Like

IMHO, this is the path to madness. Develop your left-hand muting and let your right hand move in whatever way feels fluid. There is a place for right-hand muting as an aesthetic choice, or for suppressing noise in particularly problematic licks, but trying to maintain full right-hand muting at all times needlessly inhibits the movement of the right hand.

3 Likes

I have been taking your suggestion of detaching/not anchoring my right hand from the bridge and I think this is the right direction. From a picking movement perspective it definitely makes a lot of sense and I feel much more liberty in my wrist.

However while trying to do this I also tend to lift the whole forearm from the guitar body and as a result I loose stability. My only contact with the guitar becomes the right hand pinky (lightly touching) and I go back to anchoring the whole hand to the bridge…

Troy mentioned that “The strongest anchor point is the forearm against the body”. I need to learn how to do this while keeping the right hand wrist “free”. Is the “whole forearm” (i.e. from just above the wrist to where guitar ends) anchored to the body or is it just “a line” (e.g. just the part of the forearm that touches the upper side of the guitar, for example the binding part on a Les Paul)?

2 Likes

For most people, the “whole forearm” approach simply isn’t possible, for purely physical reasons. Anchoring way up there on the body places your hand far away from the top strings, so it becomes harder to reach them. Even if you can reach them, it causes a more extreme angle of edge picking to where you’re hitting them at almost 90 degrees.

Also, keep in mind that the forearm itself has some curvature to it. If you lay your arm flat on a desk, your wrist may contact, but there’s still going to be an air gap of some sort between your arm and the guitar. So I wouldn’t worry too much about this approach - it’s not really “a thing” that players do, even if it may appear that way.

Instead, what I think you’re really asking (and correct me if I’m wrong), is where does the wrist sit, on the body or on the strings? If it sits on the body, you have less air gap. If it sits on the strings, you have more air gap. Both methods work fine, but the body method, again, really only works for the low strings for most people. You can check out the Molly Tuttle interview for a discussion of precisely this topic, where she demonstrates how she shifts the wrist anchor from the body to the strings.

As far as whether you do a completely floating approach or a wrist anchored approach, again, both methods work fine. Molly herself does this. She is a master of anchoring, and can do almost her entire lead playing technique either anchored or floating.

In your case I would try not to worry too much about this. Trying to force a “whole forearm” type of anchor by pressing down against the body is probably somewhat unnatural, and there isn’t much evidence that players really play this way, even if it appears that they do. Instead, learning to have both anchors (body and strings), with gentle pressure, and learning to switch between them, is probably what most players do.

2 Likes