Question about String gauge and tension

I have a charvel set up with standard 10s. I’ve played that for around 2 years now. I just got a new strandberg Plini and the guitar is tiny. I put 9-46 on there and I’m having a lot of problems with the adjustment to the new guitar and string gauge.

Basically, the 9s are fantastic for legato, string bending and vibrato. Those three elements sound amazing. But a lot of my playing was fast runs with picking (Petrucci, Jason Becker style) and this has not crossed over well at all. What Im noticing is that the strings are vibrating way too much when I’m picking them and this is making the picking techniques not sound as clean as they were with the 10s. I cant tell if its because Im fretting the strings too hard (because of what I was used to with the 10s) or if the string gauge is so light that it naturally vibrates like that. I’m also noticing that Im easily pulling off the high E string off of the fretboard. I pull down with barely any pressure and it pulls off. This never happened with 10s.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? My vibrato/bends/legato with the 10s is not as fluid and watery as the 9s. I wish I could have the best of both worlds. Any advice or feedback?

1 Like

I’ve had guitars in different tunings / gauges, and I think it all comes down to compromise. If you want the slinkier feel of 9s for legato / bends / vibrato, you’ll likely have to adjust your pick attack to compensate. I know of a least one set of 9.5s, so you could try those as well to see if it’s a nice middle ground. Likewise, use 10s but tune a half step down.

2 Likes

First time I tried 8s a couple of years back I felt the same.

I’ve currently been using 8.5s for the past few months and I love the light feel so much and I’m planning down to 8s again :smiley:

I’ve had no problems with fast runs (I think they actually make them a bit easier) but I do think my technique is a lot better nowadays, I’ve very light with my fretting hand and still have good sounding attack from my picking hand.

It’s probably just a matter of adjusting to it to be honest but you could also try 9.5s, I really enjoyed the feel of them, felt more balanced then 9-46.

1 Like

Not sure if it helps, but with lower gauges you could try to imagine the pick as going back and forth without being deviated by the string.

The idea is that the string will move a lot, but it doesn’t matter because you and your pick don’t care and just keep going along your chosen trajectory.

With heavier gauges, you’ll probably feel that the pick climbs up and down the string a little more, which may be what you are used to.

Well that was a weirdly metaphysical post for my standards, let me know if it make sense / helps / it’s total gibberish :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m similar to @Jacklr - I love 8’s! I have 8’s on my charvel. I think you can adapt to lighter if you want to. We know Yngwie uses 8’s. So there is no reason you can’t shred with 9’s! And I know what you mean about bending and legato - the light strings are fantastic for it. I find I’m doing my best picking with 8’s.

1 Like

@Interestedoz Yngwie uses a mixed gauge, same as Joe Stump it’s a mix of .008 .009, and .010 sets.

2 Likes

I think with anything, it just takes some getting used to. There’s always a break in period. I felt the same when I started to tune down 1/2 to 1whole step, using .009’s, and the strings felt plinky like loose rubber bands. Eventually I got used to it and adjusted. I likely use .010’s to tube down to d standard, but don’t mind the looser tension now of .009’s tuned down a half step.

1 Like

Raise the action. It’ll sound better too.

3 Likes

up the action, up the sustain.

2 Likes