Question about Troy's new interview on Streetwise Guitar

Hi,

Great interview on youtube here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfr8z_swDWE

At 38:05 of the video Troy plays a 3 note economy lick that can be repeated for long phrases using the same 3 pick strokes. I’m curious if this lick would be even quicker with inside picking? If I’m analyzing correctly he’s playing G, E, D with down up down. Would it be faster/possible to play it down up up instead?

Thanks
Chris

1 Like

Hey,
He’s playing (let’s start with the fist note he plays): D, E, G etc. The D is a downstroke, the E is a downstroke (by way of a little sweep) and the G an upstroke. Troy’s point is that the motion his hand is making and the position it’s in (an upstroke-escape motion/technique) facilitates being able to do this lick. So, because the pick is slanted downward making the sweep from D to G is easy and because the pick goes up in the air after the upstroke on the G he can switch strings and start over from the beginning with a downstroke on the D.

Thanks for the reply.
My question is an aside to what Troy is explaining in the video about pick escape.
If one were to play those same three notes, “He’s playing (let’s start with the fist note he plays): D, E, G”, could it be played faster using inside picking? up down up instead?

Thanks again,
Chris

That exact lick for some reason has always been easier for me with inside picking. Up Down Up Up just works better for me. I can do it the other way just not as efficiently

It’s not really inside or outside picking that makes something fast, it’s moving to another string with an efficient motion.

The first three notes of your proposed pickstrokes would be efficient (with this upstroke escape motion he is showing). After the first up, the pick is escaped and can move to the next string, then a down and up on that new string. Then after that last up you have to make an up (sweep) again on the first string, this would require a change of hand position/motion because you started with an upstroke escape hand position/motion. It would be much more natural after the initial up down up to continue with down, down, up again and then you’re back at how you played it in the first place.

You can do it as you guys say with a more neutral hand position (not the gypsy-jazz hand position troy is demonstrating) and it would involve a combination of double escape and downstroke escape motions (the upstroke sweep would be the downstroke escape motion).
And yea, if you can do that efficiently that would be fast too.

A great interview! It is also amazing how much information Troy can coherently communicate in 30 minutes. Thanks for the link! :heart:

2 Likes

In the interview he mentions the Mike Stern motion. I tried it and it felt good. Does he go into this specific motion in more detail in any of the other courses offered?
Thanks!

I have not seen it but probably in https://troygrady.com/interviews/mike-stern/ ?