Question about "Yngwie Pattern"

So I was look at my instagram feed and saw that Andy Wood posted a clip playing some “Yngwieisms” (check it out here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B55mB1bDgDx/).
And he played like one time ultra-fast and another one “explaining” the whole thing. And I even saw that Troy commented on the post saying that Andy is doing it 100% picked while Yngwie uses his system (with sweeps and pull-offs when needed).

But my question, and this topic has been my main difficult with the USX (DWPS in “old terminology”) is when you do patterns, in this case it was descending, eventually you got only one note in one string.
How do you guys overcome this? I usually rotate my forearm (just a bit) to escape in the downstroke and rotate it back. But it always feel strange to do, and since I’m starting again with Guitar, would be nice to get better habits.

Just to clarify I’m talking about something like this:

Anotação 2019-12-14 232405

1 Like

Your question is excellent and I don’t know the DWPS answer. But I will guess that they might do this:

1. Downstroke on the 20 & rest stroke
  2. PO to get 19 AND swipe the 17 to get behind it
  3. Upstroke the 17

Note that every note is not picked, I believe that this is otherwise impossible.

2 Likes

Yngwie Mode (DWPS)- I would put a legato in the 10th note (from fret 20 to 19) and pick the first yellow 17 fret as a upstroke.

But for me in this case TWPS is easier (sorry I’m not used to the new terminology).

2 Likes

Chris Brooks has a term for this. The lone note exception.
And it is as mentioned before a pullof from 20 to 19 on the B string and upstroke on the high E string for the 17 to maintain the USX.

2 Likes

Hmm… Good to know the ways to get over this kind of situations. Thx for replying!

Last night I was wondering about using tome hybrid picking only in this “lone note exception”. But still seems something not natural to do (at least for me at this moment).

I will probably give a try to the pull of strategy for this and see what happens.

@Filipe when you say TWPS (I’m still not completely used to the new terminology) you are talking about that system described in those Michael Angelo videos? You got good results with that?

1 Like

Here is a video of Chris explaining and demonstrating the descending fours pattern Yngwie style.

3 Likes

Yes…I started with the Yngwie system or DWPS. I spent about a year practicing all the examples from the Volcano and Cascade Seminars and after that I practiced the examples from the Antigravity. Today I use both techniques mixed, each one has it’s on sound and feel.

Now I’m leaning the crosspicking thing.

1 Like