Question For Troy

Hey Troy,

I have a question for you which I hope you don’t mind answering because it’s something I’m curious about:

When you started to develop the ability to do things such as DWPS and UWPS, did that come about as a result of thinking: If I’m going to get the pick to play the notes I want to play cleanly, it’s going to have to move in un upward trajectory. The pick can’t just move parallel to the strings; it has to move at something approximating a 45 degree angle so that I pick the note I want to pick and then as I cross to the adjacent string, the trajectory of the pick will carry the pick over that string without hitting it first, and that will help me be in a position to pick the next note I want to pick with a downstroke (if the previous stroke was an upstroke) or vice versa.

Was it a result of that, what I suppose people would call “critical thinking”, or did you discover it just by “feel”, that you just had a natural feel for the way things should be done and upon examining what you were doing, you realized the things such as the slant of the pick and most importantly, when you were picking the last note on a string before playing the next note on the adjacent string, that the pick was moving upwards at more or less a 45 degree angle that would carry the pick over the string and set you up to pick the next note the right way.

Which was it? I’ll bet I’m not the only person here curious about this!

I think we’ve talked about this on the forum before, but the answer is also right here:

No, I didn’t think about this any more than any one of us thought about pick grip or anything else we did when we were kids and first learning. What I did was notice that something changed and was suddenly working. Pretty much everything I’ve ever learned technique-wise has been an accident of one sort or another, i.e. done first, understood afterward.

2 Likes