Question on hand placement with DWPS (Steve Morse, Troy Grady, John Petrucci)

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the hand placement/ positioning in the following examples. I am not sure whether the outside of the picking hand (the side where the pinky is) is resting on the strings or rather on the bridge. In the latter case, the palm wouldn´t be muting the strings.
The reason I´d like to get clarity on this is that I can´t play strings openly whenever I play with DWPS. I´ll have to put my hand on the bridge, so that the palm is not muting the strings. I know that Anton Oparin magically manages to play strings openly with an upstroke escape, but for now I´d like to get clarity on these three other players.

The first example is this shot of Steve Morse´s hand. I guess the white line you see there is the bridge, so the strings are not muted…?

The second example is from Troy (the Yngwie lick at the very beginning):

Also, if you pause at exactly 3:00, you get a very good shot of the hand - I am still not sure whether the palm is resting on the strings or not…

The last example is from Rock Discipline, though I am actually not sure whether this hand setup can even be considered DWPS:

Regards,

Dairwolf