Question; Possible to do Double Escape with Elbow motion?

Like the title of the post says… Is it possible to do “Double Escape” with Elbow motion? Any thoughts on this are of course greatly appreciated. Thanks, dudes.

1 Like

Not with just pure elbow motion, the joint only moves back and forth in a plane. You will have to use your wrist/hand/forearm for double escapes.

1 Like

This is what I thought, so is it possible that if I am experiencing some success at doing 1nps stuff, and I *think I am using elbow, that in actuality I am using a kind of helper motion to suplement it? Like a “mostly elbow” situation until I need to change the plane? primary/secondary kind of thing…?

1 Like

Like @Fossegrim said that’s what you’re likely doing, some kind of secondary motion. I think @gabrielthorn is a mostly elbow player with secondary motions for DBX, he might be able to chime in.

3 Likes

Likely. Most people in reality use a combination of motions. They may use one that’s more visually obvious, but really are using more than one.

2 Likes

Not without a helper motion as others pointed out. But DBX is absolutely doable with elbow + a helper motion.

2 Likes

Wow! This is exactly the question that i have now. But how do you actually do this? How do you combine all these joints? Elbow is a really nice thing, but when i try to switch strings, or even do some 1nps stuff, it seems that i still make some other motion.

1 Like

The practical advice is always to choose a lick that requires the string changes you are interested in, and essentially wing it :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have to play around with it. Some of the moves are, or can be, subtle too. I also wouldn’t think about it as purely Just moving the joint either.

1 Like