Questions about Troy's latest video - Beginner Tremolo @210bpm

Hi everyone!
As you all have seen, I suppose, you know that Troy’s latest video shows a beginner player picking as fast as she can on a single string. She hits very good speed and becomes more accurate the more she does it.

So the lesson here should be to try and do the same, letting our body find his preferred mechanics and then from that we can build accuracy and other techniques.
I like it a lot, but @Troy don’t you think that in doing so, every beginner is going to use the elbow/the Di Meola movement, or that specific DSX? Thanks to your research we know now that a human being trying to reach the highest speed on a single string will end up using these mechanics and not the USX…so this practice can inhibit the use of the Yngwie/Eric setting and technique…What are your thought on that? Do you favor learning DSX before and USX later?

1 Like

Hi @ItAllanLover! I took the liberty of adding the YT link to your post and changing the title to provide more context.

I think the most conservative answer is… we don’t know, we’d have to test this on a large number of people.

But we already do have a case study with our forum fired @Yaakov, who tries the same approach and gets a completely different motion: wrist+forearm USX!

1 Like

This is great! Well, can’t wait to see a larger study on that, I’ll start from my students!

Not really. These players are choosing elbow motion, or the Di Meola “2:00” wrist motion, because it’s the only motion or motions they know how to do. Our test isn’t “causing” that. It’s revealing it. If the player simply doesn’t know how to do a USX joint motion, like Doug Aldrich forearm motion, or Mike Stern wrist motion, then they are not (currently) capable of playing the Yngwie / Eric Johnson stuff anyway. They are better off learning this fact now, and focusing on lines that they can play smoothly and efficiently now, than not knowing this fact and spending a lot of time being confused about why their Eric Johnson lines feel slow and awkward.

Most people only have one or two picking motions they can do correctly / smoothly right away. So when they try to play phrases that require a different one, they very often end up with stringhopping. We have seen this many times on the forum, and we have an additional case study about this in the most recent Primer update including real-world footage of some great players here on the forum.

Just to be clear, I’m not saying people can’t learn other motions. I’m just saying that most people don’t realize that the reason some phrases feel awkward is because they don’t yet know the motion to play it. And it’s important that they learn this fact sooner rather than later. They can always spend a few minutes here and there trying to learn other motions, and have that be a longer-term goal. But if they want to play smoothly today, or tomorrow, they’re best off using the motions they already know how to do and building on those.

I think we’ve basically done that already, with all the Technique Critique videos we’ve reviewed. The case study in the most recent update is kind of the “summary” of those results, i.e. what can happen if you try to play phrases that require a different motion than the one you know.

We’re always observing and I’m sure we’ll find other opportunities to summarize what we’ve learned.

1 Like

Just wondering when it’s the right time to learn USX and how… I ended up using elbow straight away.

Whenever you want to. Just understand that there is not a joint motion called “USX”. There is Mike Stern-style wrist motion, there is EVH-style forearm motion, there is Gypsy-style wrist-forearm motion, there is Doug Aldrich-style wrist-forearm motion, there is Yngwie-style forearm-finger motion, there is Zakk Wylde-style elbow-forearm motion, and so on. These are your options. Pick one or more and try to learn them. They are all USX motions. But there’s really not a generic “USX” motion that you can learn.

2 Likes