Rambling musings from NJ!

My name is Gautam but it’s pronounced “Gotham” (yes, like the city). Although I’ve been holding a guitar since 9th grade i never considered myself a “real” guitar player because i’m always fortunate to be surrounded by far superior players. I’m a far more accomplished rock singer and composer. I’m currently in 2 cover bands. Twitch covers the classic and prog rock of zep, rush, yes, boston, etc… Outsourced has me playing rhythm as I sing all the ear worms of the 80s and 90s. Please click on the links if you’re interested in that kind of music.

although speed picking seems to be the consensus topic bringing this community together, i probably embrace the other aspects of the guitar more in my personal life. As a guitar player, i’ve never even allowed myself the liberty of even thinking of speed until watching Cracking the Code. I’ve finally started delving into it with more success than i could have imagined.

BTW, Cracking the Code is a multidisciplinary work of genius. Troy’s storytelling, visual approaches, and compositions totally immersed me in his world and i felt like i was back in my own high school basement with sampling keyboard, posters and all! So thank you Troy.

Back to me, with an indian background, i do have an indian influence in many of my compositions. I’m also an unabashed comic book (~10,000 collected) and transformers G1 fan.

I’m also a physician. I am board certified in physical medicine & rehabilitation, neuromuscular medicine, electrodiagnostic medicine, and recently brain injury medicine. Although being quadruple board certified sounds very impressive, it just means I passed a few tests :slight_smile: For practical purposes, I’m employed full time by the Veterans Administration (VA healthcare system) where i help veterans with their physical issues. Because i’ve done a few shows there, some of the guitar playing veterans have sought my advice when dealing with aches and pains that came with their guitar playing. So even though I’m not a Performing Arts Medicine expert, i’ve had some experience with it in the realm of guitar.

@Troy asked me to contribute my thoughts, i assume, as they relate to traditional biomechanics, anatomy, and relevant medical literature. I’d be happy to do that to the best of my ability. I know I’m potentially opening up pandora’s box with this offer so here are a few caveats. I’m not your doctor on this forum so please don’t make either of us uncomfortable by asking me to be. I’m also not anywhere near an expert on the actual picking mechanics. I’m still trying to wrap my own head around it like the rest of you. I’m happy to say that nothing i’ve seen from Troy and CtC so far is anatomically/biomechanically inaccurate. So my opinion is that we should all continue to build on the work they’ve already done. Also, i’m married with two girls and 2 jobs, so i’m not online as often as some of you. So all apologies for any delays in replying.

Anyway, that’s my overly detailed intro to the group. thanks for reading this far and thanks to the CtC site for all the amazing work they’ve done.

output_bjzAO8

5 Likes

Awesome! We’ll set up a Google calendar so users can make Skype appointments.

Kidding. Your PM&R focus is totally relevant for the kinds of things we have looked at, and continue to investigate. The interview we put up before Molly Tuttle is Terry Syrek, who is a great player who learned to adapt his technique to his focal dystonia.

Thanks for signing up!