RDT as USX confusion (again)

I’m still a little confused on this. Isn’t RDT USX almost more common that RDT DSX?

In the video, a few different metal players are referenced (Ola, Chuck etc.) all who primarily play with a slight (or overt) downward pick slant, and from what I can tell start phrases on a downstroke (not an upstroke)

By that logic, are that not then doing exactly what Troy did in the faster clips (220bpm and beyond) but with the inverted version? i.e the downstrokes play 8th notes and the upstroke is the automatic ‘bonus’ note.

I’m puzzled by the suggestion that this motion needs to be DSX when the majority of tremolo wizards do the opposite?

I imagine the answer here is that just so happened to work for Troy rather than being an actual prescriptive set in stone thing?

To my knowledge, ‘reverse dart thrower’ is just a term used to describe a specifc group of motions that happens to be efficient, and can be done at high speeds continuously with minimal fatiguing.

RDT can be DSX, USX or even DBX, the reason Troy refers to all the motions in the video as RDT, is not to do with the escape motion the players are making, but rather what joint motions they are using in order to move the pick.

I don’t recall Troy saying RDT has to be DSX. It can, and as you’ve correctly pointed out, the motion Troy uses for the super fast clips in the video is DSX, because that is likely just what he stumbled upon first when trying to play insanely fast using RDT.

If I have said anything which is incorrect, please feel free to correct me :slight_smile:

3 Likes