Really glad to be here

I used to be fast. Now I’m just half fast. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Looking to get my speed back, 30 years later, and to conquer a few picking issues I’ve avoided in the past. At one point, I had most of “Flight of the Bumblebee” clean at 225, but it didn’t require “inside picking”… my nemesis for probably no good reason.

Recently being turned onto this forum, along with the acquisition of a monster amp from Troy himself has given me new excitement and motivation. Life has been quite chaotic and busy in recent years, but will do my best to carve out practice time, and interact with ya’ll.

6 Likes

Glad to have you around and it was cool to meet in person :slight_smile:

Bumblebee at 225 is no joke :open_mouth:

As a welcome “gift”, I’d like to try and challenge the notion that you have become slow :slight_smile: Would be interesting to see what speed you can hit in this simple test that Troy explains on the CTC youtube channel. No guitar nor money required for this one :wink:

3 Likes

Thread title made me think of this… Glad To Be Here Bumblefoot - YouTube :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Glad you’ll be posting, brrrrrrother! I should probably make an intro post myself, one of these years.

2 Likes

Looking forward to it, brrrrrotherrrrr!!! Of course, you already have something to show. My choice would be the one with the Walking Dead shirt. Either that, or the spider one… haha.

LOL @ the Ron tune. Inspired me to pull up “Forgotten Anthology” just now.

Thanks, Tommo! I seriously enjoyed meeting you. I have a feeling we could talk for hours about all kinds of stuff, including the difference between good handshaking and bad… haha.

The “Bee” at 225 took a lot of hard work for me as I’ve never had a naturally good right hand, but I was young and determined. The math works out to exactly 15 notes per second.

You bring up a great point. Even at 30 years past my best, and way out of shape, I can still twitch certain muscles pretty fast. One thing about getting older is I’ve recently developed a chronic pain in both inner elbows, and it hurts to pick fast in guitar playing position. I elbow pick in that position, but with air guitar on a horizontal surface like a table, there’s no pain and almost 100 percent use of the wrist. Only watched the first minute and twelve seconds of Troy’s video so far, and already understand some of what’s going on there.

I guess it’s not so much that I’ve gotten slow, but rather both my picking consistency, and left/right sync are shot from lack of practice. Should be able to get that back, then onto conquering inside picking on a descending run. Seems I forgot that many parts of Bumblebee have inside picking on ascending runs which weren’t a problem, so it’s a bad escape motion going from a higher string to a lower one. Leads to hopping at medium speed, and total sloppiness at higher speed. Pretty sure it’s isolated to bad upslanting whereas downslanting was always more comfortable.

I will conquer this once and for all!

That’s awesome man!! Bumblebee at that speed is heavy duty!! Damn!!!

You can definitely get most of your speed and precision back with some practice. With Troys analysis and breakdown of all these techniques, it will make practicing and learning new stuff easier because you have a guide to follow. It’s truly amazing what Troy has done.

I was in a car accident a while back and had to basically learn to use my hand again, so it was almost like starting guitar from scratch, but, Cracking the Code made a big difference.

What amp did you get? I’ve always been impressed with Troys tone and noticed that he plays a Cornford at times, which sounds epic, as well as a Roccaforte. That amp also sounds KILLER!!

It’s a great forum and site. Welcome!

2 Likes

Thanks, Mooncobra!

Terrible to hear about the accident, but really glad that you’ve persisted in getting it back.

I bought Troy’s Roccaforte Jenelle 80/100 with matching 2X12 cab. He and Tommo had it warmed up already, I played three chords through it, didn’t even bother with a riff, and I was sold. Must be one of history’s quickest amp sales… lol. Three months now, and I haven’t had a chance to plug it in yet. Hoping to do something about that right after the holidays.

Thanks for the welcome, Mooncobra, and wish you and family a merry Christmas, and a very happy new year!