Recording with the Magnet further up the twelfth fret

Hello all,
Apologies if this has been covered before, I couldn’t find anything relevant in the forums. My question is basically what is indicated in the title of my post-is there a way to record using the magnet past the twelfth fret or is that impossible?
Thank you in advance

I have a strat and place it much higher than 12th fret.

Edit to Add: For lower than the 12th fret, I don’t see why you couldn’t. Are you trying to watch your left hand? I think straight on is recommended for fretting hand mechanics

2 Likes

Same - I place it around the 17th-19th fret on my Charvel. So I wonder if OP meant below the 12th fret…

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply! Maybe I’m doing something wrong in placing it as I’m relatively new to this. I own a PRS SIinglecut and haven’t managed to figure things out yet. viber_image_2026-09-11_20-50-49-017|375x500

1 Like

I hope you can see clearly-if the magnet is placed further up then the surface on which it can be attached is too slim. There’s also the fact that I’m a bit wary of the fretboard being damaged (or maybe I’m being too pedantic or overcautious).

What about the placement isn’t working for you? I have a singlecut McCarty, too, and that’s where I’d mount the Magnet. I understand that it can’t really go higher up than that, it doesn’t have enough neck to grip, but why do you need to go higher? You should be able to get a perfect view from there, no?

There are occasions in which I want to record and analyse a picking run in which the left hand is placed further up the neck and this prevents me from doing so. In that case I normally transpose said run lower on the neck but the tension and overall feel is then different.

Ah, understood. I just tried mounting the Magnet as high as it can possibly go, played a bit, and had no issue.

I understand if you are worried about getting some minor scuff on the guitar, but the solution then is probably to get another, cheaper guitar for this purpose. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s awesome…and a dream guitar if I may add so. I don’t mind the minor scuff as much as the possibility of the magnet coming off mid-recording (it happened to me just a while ago!). I’ll try and figure out another way of mounting it more securely.

2 Likes

One last thing to bring up, after checking your photo again: do you still have, or did your Magnet not come with, the (for lack of a better term) “safety string”?

Using it could help mitigate an otherwise disastrous situation should it come loose, especially for your phone.

1 Like