Remember Shakti w/ McLauglin

Just wanted to put this out there.
I think Mclaughlin is very important in the way he interacts when live.
Any of these concerts, 70 - 90s are just magical.

This one is especially groovy.

I really loved all his gigs with Mahavhishu, if you can stomach them back to back they can be quite something. Even the ones with Kai and Trilok… I think John’s done more for Indian music than most alive.

1 Like

I was lucky enough to see the 1999 tour when they came to Rome (Italy).

I was 15 and had played for maybe 1,5 years. It was like watching some aliens that came to earth to show us impossible and beautiful things. I wish I could go back in time and re-watch that show with my current (still very limited!) knowledge.

1 Like

That’s great to hear Tommo!
It’s profound how McLauglin has this aura around him, I mean I don’t want to sound funny but, it’s just that he seems to get the best out of everybody, there’s something sage like and reverential about him, I’ve had a lot of folks tell me they were near religious moments at his concerts, especially the Mahavhishnu era.

This concert is just savage, I love how he keeps the circus together. I think he may be an acquired taste, clearly I’m in awe.

Lately lot of his ‘indian’ phrasing seems to be popping up in my playing and practice routines, I’m afraid I’m deviating from the YJM plan, 3’s, 4s, 5s have taken on a new meaning. I’m going full tribal man :smiley:

1 Like

I have tremendous respect for John McLaughlin, his skill, his accomplishments and his influence.

I’ve tried so many times to get into his music and his playing. For whatever reason though, it just doesn’t resonate with me. I know it’s my loss, and I keep feeling that I should love his works, but I just don’t get it yet. Any recommendations for some favourite works I might have overlooked or missed?

2 Likes

These concerts are legendary: https://youtu.be/cFlDf7Ck-N4

And even if you’re not digging John’s playing, there’s still Al’s and Paco’s to observe.

1 Like

I’m familiar with those acoustic performances, but I haven’t actually listened to them in about a decade. Might be time to revisit them.

1 Like

This one inspired me - more in his freedom to play on the edge of his ability and be ‘in the moment’. It’s all subjective, but JM really is an artist first and technician second…or third…

1 Like

@Tom_Gilroy the thing about JM live is you must watch his concerts start to finish; they can be jarring to the uninitiated otherwise. Also, I discovered LSD much later in life; I had no idea that it had a profound effect on hearing, a unique experience that brings with it the stamina to watch for example 5, hour-long concerts back to back, in which you are one with the performance. If you’re on half-decent monitors or HiFi, or better yet high-end headphones, man you’re there on the drummers’ lap. At this point, it’s impossible for any impedance mismatch, it goes directly into your mind, it’s like there are no ears or transducers involved. It will change something in you, for the better if you do it right. I re-watch JM and other things I consider phenomenal when the universe accommodates this blissful excursion upon me :slight_smile:

There’s also the Indian rhythm thing that’s a different sensibility you may need to get into, Trilok is great at melding you into this world gently. Indian music is to me is mostly blues in harmonic minor with immense rhythmic freedom. Also, notes are approached more like a slide player would, from above or below. It’s a very feel thing where the phrasing would probably be too detailed to even write in notation.

This, for example, is like bluegrass in a way but again that minor swing thing is on.

For the theoretical side of things, Konokol is the tool employed to communicate rhythm, and scales are referred to as ragas. These ragas connotate more than just a group of notes, sometimes they imply different ascending and descending patterns.

The gent on the pot ( gattam ) is incredible here. They’re all beasts I tell ya!

1 Like

See @Tom_Gilroy, you’re not dropping enough acid to get J Mac Mahavishnu
:wink:

2 Likes

I hope I haven’t been offensive, but it’s the elephant in the room :joy:

1 Like

@Twangsta thanks for the recommendations, I’ll watch the concerts when I get a chance.

I tried some psychedelic drugs when I was about 20. I just found that they made otherwise boring things seem very interesting. I would’t be surprised if I just didn’t do it right. I’ve never taken any kind of drug regularly or habitually, despite some of the social circles I’ve been part of.

I’m actually no stranger to Indian music. I have recordings by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Ali Akbar Khan, Ravi Shankar, etc. Wonderful music.

Like I said, I think I should love McLaughlin’s works, it just hasn’t hooked me yet. I think there’ll be something I hear from him that opens the doors and then I’ll finally hear everything I’ve heard again with a new appreciation for it. I know I’m the one missing out.

I didn’t get Shawn Lane until I heard his live albums with Jonas Hellborg. I didn’t get Frank Gambale until I heard his album Passages. I didn’t get Scott Henderson until I heard Well To The Bone. I didn’t get Jeff Beck until I heard Roger Waters’ Amused to Death. Now, I love all of their playing and their music. I’m sure I would love John McLaughlin’s work too if I could just find a way in. I’ll keep trying, but it just hasn’t happened for me yet.

I just want the open the doors, I don’t want the walls to melt!

1 Like

Thats just it. You got to watch and hear the brilliant stuff, that gets even better.

McLaughlin took me a while. But the album that sold me was passion grace fire and witches brew. Thats so true, with each artist it’s always one album or track that hooks you, not necessarily the first you hear.

Looking forward to the 18 hour “Tom Gilroy takes LSD and listens to Shakti for study purposes” video coming to Youtube any day now.

2 Likes

Hi @Twangsta, Thanks for reminding me to listen to Amaan Ali Khan some more. Its been a while. I absolutely adore the sound of the Sarod.

1 Like

Maybe I can pitch the idea to Netflix.

This is a lesser known one, no idea why - it’s got heavyweight players on it:

If you wanted to know what A Love Supreme would sound like if two hippie guitar legends played it, here’s your chance.

Don’t forget the LSD though.

1 Like

Damn now I need tips on how to get into Santana, just never did it for me!
:slight_smile:

edit: maybe this is the one; but I’m missing my vagas kit!

Do you think they originally called it Love Surrender Devotion but got worried someone would notice?