Resources for DBX phrases

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows of some good resources for phrases that use a DBX picking motion. Have you guys ever tried some of the lines from this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Guitar-Single-Note-Soloing/dp/0769209726/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ted+greene&qid=1617124360&s=books&sr=1-2

I also have some licks I got from Gilbert that use mixed numbers of notes-per-string which I posted about in a different topic some time ago.

Any other great resources to check out for finding licks with a DBX motion? Any ideas about developing ones own licks with a DBX motion from “scratch”?

By resources do you mean stuff that’s written down? When I’m working on DBX I’m just transcribing players that use DBX, usually I’m working on something by Albert Lee, Steve Morse or Clint Strong. Classical violin stuff requires DBX most of the time, I have Bach and Paganini in my DBX diet, it’s really hard though.

1 Like

Sure, it could be written down. But transcribing would work as well.

Thank you for sharing those examples. Much appreciated.

Anything else that would be good to look into?

Hey man! I think figuring out your own DBX licks are probably the easiest of any of the “systems” - just pick everything and see where the pickstrokes fall later lol. Here’s a couple shreddable licks with tabs and pickstroke notation I’ve worked out for the forum that I posted a while ago if you’re looking for a couple simple ones to practice:

Straight picking all the way through with the exception of couple slides and a pull-off in the grass lick.

I find I instinctively play a lot of licks that are odd/even/odd/even note groupings on each string, so the escape strokes stay the same for two strings in a row before flipping things upside down which makes it flow more smoothly when you’re switching escape motions/doing a DBX picking style.

As far as other players to look at - Andy Wood or Martin Miller are probably the prime examples of
guys who can alternate pick everything. I’ve transcribed a lot of lines from them and it’s definitely helped practice that kind of technique. Andy always recommends fiddle tunes to take your picking technique to the next level and he’s definitely converted me; lots of awkward note groupings transcribing these songs to guitar and it’s great practice for the right hand.

2 Likes

I wanted to tell you, when you posted your lick in another thread, that you inspired me and opened up a new door in my playing. I’ve been a DSX player my whole life and for the life of me could not play a straight ascending pentatonic scale at speed; I like to start with the down to sync to the beat. Seeing your example, I thought, what if I play three notes on the first string, I could do it as a pickup, then two notes every other string. Voila!! Ripping pentatonics. (I know that you were showing straight alternate, two way, but for what ever reason, looking at the pattern on the A string, dropping the last three notes, clicked for me and my one way picking)

It’s really changed everything, so long as I have even notes after the first string change in either direction, I can fly. So thank you. It was right there all along, but you made it obvious.

2 Likes

Like @Philausopher said, you could make your own, or just look through the forum for ideas. Plenty of cool riffs around these parts!

1 Like

@Philausopher

Wow! That was really helpful. Thank you for sharing those licks. I’ll have to look into transcribing some Andy Wood and Martin Miller lines. I really enjoyed the Andy Wood video you shared. I’ll also have to check out some fiddle tunes.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Wow. Thanks dude, that’s so awesome. Really glad I could help you figure something out that’s such a gamechanger! I’m a guitar teacher in real life lol but none of my students are quite at the level where we can work on stuff like this so I really enjoy posting nerdy picking stuff on the forum :joy:

I do pretty much the exact same thing actually! At like full shred speed I like DSX ascending and USX descending so flipping the Eric Johnson style pentatonic picking upside down works really well. I actually learned all the Eric Johnson stuff initially with DSX/sweeping upwards cuz I’m dumb and can’t follow instructions very well apparently after watching Troy’s video :joy: I’ve since flipped it around to the way EJ does it but sometimes old habits come back and an upstroke sweep will sneak in. Still works but I feel like I’m drinking the EJ koolaid since I find the way he does it has a better tone with the rest strokes.

@CalvinScarified as far as fiddle tunes go, Beaumont Rag is a classic and the main ditty is all crosspicking. Blackberry Blossom is a good one as well, the main melody is straight 16ths and it sounds pretty awesome when you can get it speedy. This video is a great lesson on it:

And then here’s two guitar gods absolutely obliterating it lol:

1 Like