RIP Jimi Hendrix 50 years ago today

I know he wasn’t known for his shredding, but he was the reason I picked up a guitar and he will always be my favourite guitarist. Rest in peace…

1 Like

Indeed.

I actually know personally an (unfortunately) unknown amazing jazz and rock virtuoso. I’d put this guy up against almost anyone, not that it’s a competition. When I was much younger and didn’t understand things like this, I asked this guy “What’s the big deal about Hendrix? Yeah he has awesome songs and everything, but Steve Vai shreds him under the table. YOU shred him under the table. Why does everyone say he’s the best?” His answer was something to the effect of “It’s the same reason professional athletes thank their mom when they win championships. Without their mom, they wouldn’t exist. Without Hendrix, a lot of these guys who may be able to play things Hendrix couldn’t, simply wouldn’t even be playing guitar if it weren’t for him”.

It took me awhile, but finally I “got it”. Such a shame he wasn’t around longer. Just think what else he might have come up with!

1 Like