Roy Marchbank's pick and his monster alternate picking

E Locrian #6 is insane!

1 Like

Return of a very old topic! I though everyone might enjoy this. A short description of his picking.

6 Likes

Wow you got that up quick! At this rate it’ll go viral! :joy:

1 Like

Hi Jilly. I’ve noticed you posted this a few times in different threads, and again in this thread, even though @TheCount has already done so. Please don’t do that - once is enough.

More generally, we’ve put some guidelines together for the forum recently. We’ve been small enough that we haven’t needed this thus far, but clarity can’t hurt. You can find those here:

https://troygrady.com/policies/forum/

In general, if we’ve got a discussion happening on a particular topic, and something you’ve done is relevant, and you’d like to participate in that discussion in addition to whatever you’re linking to, then sure. But replying with a video link and nothing else isn’t really discussion, and comes across as marketing - particularly when it’s an old resurrected thread.

Thank you!

Hey Troy
Good to hear from you. Duly noted.
Not intended to be marketing but as you’ve noticed we’ve not been on here for a while (couple of bereavements in the family since Christmas). I see there’s a back log of discussion asking about Roy Marchbanks technique, wondering how he achieves such astounding speed and accuracy etc etc and those questions have gone without adequate or accurate replies for months. The video serves to answer only those who asked specific questions about Roy. He’s made the video to help those interested in his playing technique understand it better. However, if you wish to take the video down that I have used by way of reply to the interested parties then Roy or I can systematically explain to each one of them, though I suppose they will find the video eventually on the social media platforms it’s on.
Perhaps instead of it being buried in old threads like the one The Counts posted it on, it should instead start a new thread. It certainly seems to be of interest to many.
You might find it of interest too, it’s a little more concise than one of those Rowan videos as it was made for Instagram in the first instance. Plenty more to come now we have our family matters dealt with.
All the very best to you and yours. Jill.
Roy says hi :blush::v:t3:

1 Like

The Count can do that because he is not you or Roy, and not affiliated with you or Roy. He’s posting here because he thinks folks might be interested. If you do the same thing, because of your role, it’s marketing. Context matters and in this case the context is clear. Don’t post videos just because you made them and they’re about Roy - the bar for your posts is higher.

It’s perfectly fine that we have a thread about Roy and his technique and I do think that’s a good place for this discussion and videos like the one the Count posted - there’s definitely interest among our posters. However I’d let posters take the lead on that as far as posting and discussing links. Responses to technique questions that people ask are great and ideally should come from Roy himself since it’s his expertise we’re discussing.

I totally agree Troy, I only wish we hadn’t had so much to deal with this last 8 months and we could have kept up to speed with all the amazing and interesting comments on here about Roys technique. Posting the video to my mind was a simple way of correcting those who are misunderstanding Roys playing or not having their questions answered. Nothing more or less but I see how you could think of it as marketing as it comes from me. Catch 22 really but we shall find other ways to answer those interested in Roy.

Please forgive my attempt to catch up by directing only the interested parties to a video that explains their questions. On a positive note I have ignored the incorrect suppositions about the Phat Bhoy pick and the blatant unpleasantness about Roys abilities on guitar, from one other member on another thread , as have you. I guess we’ve all learnt from experience that trying to engage with that kind of thing is a waste of positive energy as I am sure we want to support freedom of speech and good vibes on here and across the rest of the virtual world.
Sure when Roy gets the time he might drop by to more thoroughly explain his technique without having to direct parties to the latest Roy technique video The Counts put up. There are so many forums like this though that if he were to clarify every point on every one he’d get no work done! Still, in the absence of any other analysis, we will endeavour to reply where we can. Totally respect your new policies now I have had a good read. Want to thank The Count for being so quick resurrecting this old thread with the new video footage - long overdue. I know he & others really enjoy learning about Roys technique. Roy appreciates the wonderful support from you all here.
It’s nearly 1.30am in Scotland - so I will bid you goodnight & answer you in the morning if need be. Rest assured though, we understand each other. :blush:
Many thanks
J

1 Like