Roy Marchbank's pick and his monster alternate picking

For sure John. I definitely however cant play crossing strings with odd even combinations using that kind of arm tension, I have to down the nps for it to happen accurately. Either that or cramp up and get finger mangled. Also my left hand is far quicker, so I have to consciously slow the left to keep the right bang on in sync.

2 Likes

Would ya look at that father :innocent:

3 Likes

Cool to see the bell technique here. Michael Schenker did it way back in 1981 on the Live at Budokan album on the Courvoisier Concert track.

1 Like

I couldnt remember how I came up with it, thanks for clarifying that. Do you have an example of Schenker doing it to share?

@milehighshred are you saying that extreme speed can’t be acomplished by a limp noodle arm and no effort? :grinning:

@MelodicGrit good call, that is where it’s from! I guess technically it’s the song “Lost Horizons”. Seems like he only did the bell for a few years. Newer live stuff doesn’t have it.

@Roy_Marchbank Where’s your Bible, my child? :pray: :bell: Here’s a couple I found. I’ve never seen any Schenker before.

I’ve noticed a LOT of people seem to freak out when any sort of tension creeps in when they try pushing their speed in playing guitar. Too many teachers tell students and put out videos saying you’re not supposed to play with ANY tension, EVER!!! YOU’LL DIE FROM IT!!!

It’s like telling someone to flex their biceps and have them completely relaxed at the same time.

4 Likes

The no tension thing is utter nonsense! It’s as dumb as telling someone to play funk music with a rigid arm! I’m with you both on this. This speed is impossible without a certain degree of tension.

4 Likes

@Roy_Marchbank I didn’t mean to imply that you got it from Schenker, it seems like something that anyone might come up with randomly. I’d seen Schenker demo it on a very old guitar instruction tape with him, Richard Thompson and Ron Wood…probably made in 1980-1981…
@Hanky_Pooh I don’t think he uses the gong/bell sound anymore, but he did it in the 80s for “Lost Horizons” and later in both the studio and live as part of the “Save Yourself” intro. When they play that tune now the gong is done on a keyboard… Here it is live in '97:

2 Likes

No offence taken at all dude, I simply couldnt remember how I came up with it. Its all good.

3 Likes

I think we must determine first what kind of technique for speed we are talking about that produces tension and why

For eg…The drill set vids i have put up recently on you tube have next to zero tension in my arm. I’m playing .around 16-19nps. If I add tension, playing complicated phrases crossing strings its going to fall apart. However, if you are talking about “spasm picking” or ultra picking which yourself and John are doing, then yes the arm has to have a ton of tension to achieve the movement thats capable of 24nps or more. The trade off it seems is a limited time before your arm burns out and inaccuracy crossing strings playing complex phrases.
I also think the controversial question, when does it stop being music and start becoming sport? gets pulled into the equation somewhere around this mirky grey area. Its certainly been the centre of many a heated debate online for at least the last decade and begs for a conclusion which I think we will find on CtC soon :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Is there wrist tension then? Everything is loose? I think most people consider guitar playing not music when you break out of a slow pentatonic scale. At least in the US. There’s a bunch of hillbilly *** mf’s here. :smiley:

I would love to hear Circular 18’s at 24nps… That would be music to my ears. I want to hear the treble slowly cut out of the attack from the pick melting. :rofl:

2 Likes

There is no tension at all between 16-19nps in my wrist or arm, there simply cant be if I want to play complex phrases bang on accurate. I wouldnt say loose, it flows because the motor/muscle memory skills I developed for myself have been practiced for decades.

There is a warm up point I noticed if I push harder, I can develop the muscle reaction time so I can relax into a comfortable position and not look like I am in a tourettes competition.

To be clear I am not saying its not possible to play 24nps accurate crossing strings! that would be stupid, I’m saying for me it wont be happening because I dont want to use that kind of tension to achieve that particular goal after trying and finding it very inaccurate. IMO spasm picking is a young mans technique. For guys nearly 50 there should be a health warning trying spasm picking and i’m not joking!

3 Likes

I hear ya man. I might wanna take your approach so I don’t throw my arm out or something. lol. :bear:

2 Likes

:bear::+1:

3 Likes

Hope it helps clarify things :+1:

3 Likes

Great stuff Roy! Amazing technique.

1 Like

If my friends from back in high school are to be believed, something becomes a sport “when someone loses an eye”. :smiley:

2 Likes

Last one for 2017. Have an awesome 2018 when it arrives folks, enjoy and safe home if your travelling. Kudos to Troy and the team on a wicked site, see you on the flip side. Slainte!

6 Likes

These were definitely my favourite set of picking drills. Pure insanity! Looking forward to your Code analysis!

3 Likes

Buahahahahahahaha!!! Rebel Without A Pause smokes man. Put some blast beat drums in there. :grinning:

:bear:

2 Likes