Samples of my tremolo

Hello,

Since I started playing, I’ve been trying to develop my USX picking motion, but I find that I have to pick very softly and I get stuck often, my picking isn’t consistent. So I’ve decided to record it. I also did another take but this time with DSX motion (which I haven’t practiced much) to see if there was any difference.
Here are the clips:
USX:

DSX:

What do you think? Should I change to DSX?
Thanks in advance.

I’ll try to embed the videos:

You sure do have the speed with the second DSX video! :slight_smile: You just need to work on consistency of attack between up and down strokes.

The first video is a more supinated hand position but I’m not sure the motion is USX. It’s a hard angle to judge from but to me it still looks like a DSX motion. The motion is also so small that it could very well be fully trapped. Second video is also very small but it does look more like it would clear the string on downstroke if you extended the stroke.

Wow, thanks for your quick answer!
I haven’t practiced the motion on the second video much. I’ll start to practice it and I’ll try to post a video in a few days.
These are the first videos I record of my playing, and as soon as they started recording I felt very nervous :yum:
I’ll try to improve the angles on my next videos.

Here are new examples of my tremolo from a different perspective.
This time I managed to record it in slo-mo.

1 Like

You’ve got a great dsx tremolo going here! I’d recommend trying to apply this picking motion to phrases that match. So, phrases where the last note on a string is a downstroke.

Get good at doing this first and then you can add in the occasional upstroke string change. It might require a secondary motion or helper motion, trying it at speed is the way to find out what is needed.

Spot on! I’m not needed here so I’ll go make me a drink :smiley:

@Agenbite let us know if you’d like a few more details, since we’re using acronyms left and right here :slight_smile:

But basically this is a good read for you:

1 Like

Thank you for the advice!

@Tommo, that was an interesting reading. I’m trying to change the way I play, starting licks with upstrokes (if they are even numbred), and accenting upstrokes. ATM this feels a bit odd, but I’m starting to get used to that.

2 Likes