Sam's Technique evaluation and predominant motion

Hello guys,

So, I did all my motion testing and recorded a couple videos for you guys to see. I have no idea what kind of picking motion I use, but I know something is not right as I can never feel completely comfortable. So, I did record some videos of my picking hand to see if you guys can help. They are in regular speed and slow motion.

Here are my motion test results:

1. Wrist flexion/extension - 240 bpm
  2. VH wrist motion, 1 o’clock - 230
  3. Di Meola Wrist, 2 o’clock - 220
  4. Elbow - 250
  5. Forearm - 220

And here are the videos:

1. Tremolo
  1. Tremolo Slow Motion
  1. Open strings picking and 1,2,3,4 exercise regular speed.
  1. Slow motion

Thank you so much for all the help you can provide.

Wishing you all the best.

I’m not an expert by any means but for me your fast motion looks like coming from the elbow and escaping on the downstrokes. I have a very similar picking motion and I’d start playing that chromatic like starting with an upstroke, it feels much comfortable that way. It’s a nice and fast tremolo motion in my opinion.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your feedback. I also think is an elbow motion more than anything, but I feel I move the wrist a lot too, so not sure how to evaluate that. I also feel that when I play slow or at a moderate tempo, my motion is wrist movement. But, when I go fast I feel it changes to elbow. Nevertheless, there is something that don’t let me pick well when I go fast. Hope to get some insights and help from you all. Thanks again.

1 Like

I don’t think using the elbow means you can’t use the wrist at the same time. I think these motions are connected in some way. I also use a lot of my wrist but the main motion is coming from the elbow for sure.

Thanks for posting! Those are great test numbers. You have plenty of speed.

@gabrielthorn is totally correct, your fast motion is elbow DSX. It is a very common and very capable fast motion. Here is the explanation:

Your 1234 tests are not using your fast motion, you are doing double escape motion using the wrist. It might also be stringhopping. I think the problem is because you are starting each string on a downstroke. Your elbow technique will not work this way and maybe that’s why you’re switching your motion to the slower one.

Instead, DSX techniques like elbow motion require each string to terminate on a downstroke. DSX = “downstroke escape”, where downstrokes are the string changing pickstroke. For that to be true, you need to start each string on an upstroke.

So if you want, try the 1234 test but starting on an upstroke. If that feels too weird because you cannot feel the upstroke, try this phrase, which starts on a downstroke:

Give that a shot and see if it is any easier. Use your high-speed elbow technique and make sure to go fast, even if it is a little sloppy or unsynchronized at first.

Thank you so much Troy, I was thinking the same about the numbers when i saw them. I just need to learn how to transfer that speed into the strings with the picking motion. I will definitely try the lick and work on those 1,2,3,4 exercises starting in an upstroke.

Thanks for the feedback.

The simple answer is just to go fast. Don’t try to work on “exercises” in the traditional sense where you start slow and go gradually faster. Just do the elbow motion, starting out fast, because that is the motion that is working best. Try to get the left hand involved even if it is way out of synchronization at first. You only need to get it right a small number of times before you can start to get it right every time.

Thanks for letting me know. Yes, I have always practice in the traditional way of starting slow and then gradually increase the speed. It’s certainly not working so well. I will also upload another exercise that I practice that I always hit other strings and don’t let me sound clean. Thanks so much for your help Troy, I am glad to be a part of this community.