Scale sequence in threes dwps

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before. I have pasted a sequence of notes below, can anyone help me with the most efficient way to dwps this.

1 Like

This would make me cry like a baby. I await some great ideas to see how this could be done.

I can not see a way to of doing it with just dwps but I may be missing something obvious! This was a sequence I learned a while ago but since watching these videos I am realising why this is so hard to play at full speed. The only way I can think of doing this is by playing three notes per string.

EDIT: I had read the tab too quickly, this may not be the same sequence sorry! The right hand should be identical though :slight_smile:

Time to recycle this video I made for the forum 2y ago. Sorry for the terrible tone - done with a vox amplug straight into the mac input :smiley:

The idea is the same as @sonnyboy tabbed up there: combining two positions! Funnily enough, I played it in the same key (Bmin - my favourite key next to Gm and Cm :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

That’s awesome man! Nice.

Thank you! But I think I misunderstood the riff. I assumed it was the usual Jimmy Page, “good times bad times” sequence - that’s what my brain wants to see every time I look at a pentatonic sequence :slight_smile: Now I looked at the tab better, and it looks like a variation of the descending fours.

I hope I read the tab correctly - what about moving one position up, and starting with upstroke?

-10--------------------------------------------------------
----12-10-12-10--------------------------------------------
----------------11-9-11-9----------------------------------
--------------------------12-9-12-9------------------------
-------------------------------------12-9-12-9-------------
-----------------------------------------------12-10-12-7--
2 Likes

Ah, the question was “write DWPS-friendly TAB,” not “how do I play the TAB on the example?” I was confused.

I’m writing a program to lay out TAB given sheet music, it’s an interesting optimization problem.

The original tab seems playable with dwps if you are willing to “cheat” and hybrid pick the lone high note on each repetition :slight_smile:

Absolutely, tiny “escape hatches” make certain TAB layouts possible to play. It is funny that I view “DWPS” as actual DWPS plus several escape hatches that are permitted (non-alternate picking, option to replace picked note with H/P). Perhaps hybrid is not on the list because is non-YJM, although it should be? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

All your ascending downstroke string changes can be swiped. The rest work out as you would expect. I do this all the time and it can sound pretty clean. There are bunch of very similar moments in this recent Instagram post:

…and you can grab the free notation for it right here, as well as play it in our Soundslice player in slow motion:

I’ve notated the swipes as mutes, which is essentially what they are. However, if you watch closerly in slow motion, I think one of these isn’t really a swipe, but a downstroke motion that actually gets over the string. This is why it pays to think about what motions you’re actually making, more so than what your pick looks like (“pickslant”). Because the one thing doesn’t really control the other. They correlate, but not always.

1 Like