Should one avoid looking at the guitar neck?

I’m starting to think it’s better not to look at the guitar neck unless one must. Thoughts?

1 Like

Both are useful IMHO. Not looking at the neck is great for playing with your ears and getting into a groove. Looking is great for learning things your hands don’t naturally do (like picking up a new style or thought process.

2 Likes

I think that you nailed it, I often look when I don’t have to and my eyes are far more powerful than my ears.

If nothing else, looking at the neck too much is bad for your posture.

1 Like

Certainly from a live performance standpoint, you’re always more engaging to watch if you’re looking at the audience or your bandmates or whatever, and not staring at the fretboard. Beyond that I’m not sure how much it matters.

Personally, I find a lot of things easier when not looking. And ironically this is especially true with the kind of “hard” things we typically think require more looking, not less — like bigger intervals or weird shapes. If something is really hard to follow with my eyes because it jumps around a lot, over large distances, I find that not looking, and instead memorizing the feel, is easer.

2 Likes