Shred for the Disabled

Hi @Troy.

In the past year+, I have been struggling to play guitar, due to dystonic tremors (hand tremors and involuntary muscle contractions). It’s the most frustrating thing I have experienced, especially when trying to play stretchy legato involving the pinky. I have struggled to find workarounds, but resources for this are super-limited. I was wondering if you would ever consider having/hosting videos to help disabled people that want to play advanced guitar techniques, and how to modify those techniques? Thanks for your time!

Hi!

We have a great interview on exactly this subject, with Terry Syrek. He is an awesome player with focal dystonia, and specifically the pinky issues you describe. Terry is a super nice guy and very candid about his struggles and the steps he has taken to treat the condition and also to rearrange his musical vocabulary. Here’s the conversation:

2 Likes

Thank you! This is awesome!

1 Like