Shred Players Who Play Tastefully

The complaint I hear most often about shred guitarists is that they don’t play tastefully. Of course, shred players vary tremendously in how tastefully they play and it’s also a subjective thing. Someone I consider tasteful is someone you might not think is tasteful. In your opinion, who are three of the fastest guitarists who still play tastefully? By shred players, for the purposes of this thread I’ll say that a “shred player” is someone capable of playing 16th notes at 220 on the metronome at least.

My three choices are:

1. Yngwie - especially his playing in Alcatrazz and his first few solo albums. I think his vibrato is the classiest, most beautiful vibrato of any shred player. Yngwie’s vibrato is one of the things which truly sets him apart from the crowd.

2. Vinnie Moore - I have his first solo album and he plays some beautiful melodies in his solos. I think his playing even when he’s shredding is some of the most melodic fast playing I’ve heard.

3. Al Dimeola - He’s my favorite jazz player, even more than John McLaughlin who I like very much. Al writes and plays some truly beautiful music and when he plays fast, it’s still beautiful. I especially like his “Elegant Gypsy” album. The latin influence he adds to the jazz music he plays really makes his sound unique and wonderful. He’s great at both electric and acoustic guitar. The acoustic guitar playing on the albums he made with The Trio is probably the most impressive acoustic guitar playing I’ve ever heard!

3 Likes

Good choices Acecrusher, I have go agree about Alcatrazz era Yngwie, that was some of his best work IMO.

For me, Jeff Kollman is my favourite tasteful shredder. He doesn’t do the shred thing much these days, but his solo albums and his albums with Edwin Dare have lots of jazz influenced shredding. He’s one of the best.

1 Like

Great list, guess who’s my favourite on that list?

By the way, your bar for “shred” is crazy high! To be honest I don’t think I have ever seen a player who can hit 16th@220 (let’s say on typical 3-note per string scalar licks) and still be clean/in control - ok, maybe Shawn Lane :slight_smile:

Note, I am thinking in particular of live performances, in a studio and with several attempts this becomes possible for many elite players.

Yeah, it is, and basically what I was trying to do is see which players who are known for being incredibly fast are also considered tasteful by the members of this forum. The lists would be huge if players like George Lynch, Warren Demartini, Nuno Bettencourt, and so on were candidates for the lists because there are so many guys like that who are very tasteful. When you get to the more extreme speeds its easier to find guys like Vinnie Vincent than Vinnie Moore!

1 Like

That’s a tough one, I like many guys that shred. I’ll try to keep it to 4 players.

Yngwie: His phrasing up until the 90s was amazing, plus his trademark vibrato/bending. Yngwie was impecable for 15 years in terms of taste and compositions.

Wes Hauch: Even though he hasn’t released a lot of original material, his phrasing is damn tasty and unique.

Kiko Loureiro: That mix of metal - jazz - fusion - Brazilian phrasing is very unique. His solo work is very impressive and fresh.

Early Richie Kotzen: What a player! He combined blues with great shred lines and Becker style arpeggios. Even though I prefer his non picking song writing, I still miss the days he played with a pick.

Honorable mentions: Buckethead, Randy Rhoads, Dimebag Darrel

1 Like

yes Kiko is brilliant! His writing is very strong too.

Very different list from me, lol.

Andy Timmons - “Resolution” is such an awesome album, if you need a starting place.
Nick Johnson - one of my favorite of the newest generation of up and coming players (along with Angel Vivaldi, who his last album or two has been prettyy damed tasteful for the amount of technical playing on it, as well, come to think of it). EXTREMELY melodic player.
Neil Zaza - I haven’t loved everything he’s done, but “Staring at the Sun” is a brilliant disc.
Joe Satriani - more vocal and blues based than a lot of his peers from the 80s, IMO.
Brett Garsed - definitely veering closer to fusion than shred, but another very melodic soloist.
Marco Sfogli - another new guy to watch, sort of somewhere between Petrucci and Timmons.

2 Likes

Has anyone heard of a player who released an album under the name ‘Syndrone’? I think he’s incredible. I’m also a big fan of Paul Wardingham.

Look I’m honestly not sure if their speed is up to those “standards” but jazz/fusion players are great for this kind of thing.

Pat Martino
Jimmy Bruno
George Benson
Jesse Van Ruller (DEFINITELY qualifies speed wise - also almost entirely an arm player as well, curiously)
Oz Noy
Jimmy Herring (rarely shreds, which to me is crucial - just sends out short bursts of great speed - same with Noy, I think)
Allen Hinds
earlier scott henderson (I like his newer stuff a lot more to be honest)
Carl Verheyen
Allan Holdsworth

Harder to me to think of rock players, but Guthrie Govan is the obvious choice. I genuinely still like Steve Vai - definitely a very individual player with a very twisted approach. Also, Dweezil Zappa in his later years. In my opinion, most players that would be considered tasteful use shredding as just another tool, and not as their main thing. They all build up to a shred as an emotional climax, rather than just going full speed straight away.

2 Likes

Yngvie, Satriani, Eric Johnson & Paul Gilbert.

Although E.J. doesn’t go past 170 bpm, his clean playing is still shrederific. I’d rather sound like him than almost any other 200+ bpm player.

1 Like

Lot’s of guys in the metal/death metal scene that I personally think are tasty (good vibrato, clean technique, saying something emotionally/musically etc.) my picks would be -

Wes Hauch - Login • Instagram
Jakub Zytechi - Login • Instagram
Stephen Taranto - Login • Instagram
Sergey Golovin - Login • Instagram

Plenty of others but all great players, and students of the guitar :slight_smile:

If you haven’t heard PLINI, you are missing out, and he wrote this particular album when he was 18/19.
Hands down the most tasteful Prog/Jazz Guitarist working today.
1 Like

Govan is interesting. I think he’s pound for pound one of the best players out there today, but for the most part I don’t often find myself really loving his style. Which is totally cool - he’s also a very distinctive and recognizable and super talented player with a unique voice. That matters way more than whether or not his style personally speaks to me. And, he’s played on some amazing albums I love - his playing on the two Steven Wilson discs he did was incredible.

1 Like

Would recommend Ron Bumblefoot Thal very highly. Although his albums vary greatly in style, he has always had a very personal sound (even if shredding at unbelievable speeds) and technique is never important for him even if he can shred with the best. Also he is one of the masters of rock fretless guitar.
Another very underrated player is Todd Duane, which fits more the shredder mold (check the Electrocution 250 project which is just insane).
And saw that Brett Garsed was mentioned. In addition to him, also check TJ Helmerich and the albums they did together, which are amazing (although not that shreddy).
I never had used the word shred so much ever! haha hopefully someone finds some new music.
Oh and IA Ekhlund, just in case it flew under the radar.

Oh, and forgot Dave Martone. His albums are excellent and very varied with good compositions.

I think Akio Shimizu from the Japanese metal band Anthem is underrated. He has a great sense of melody even when shredding at a high speed.

Example: Akio’s solo from the song Evil One

1 Like

Another vote for Andy Timmons, Brett Garsed & Jimmy Herring, and a few more:
TJ Helmerich
Frank Gambale
Greg Howe (introspection especially)

1 Like