Slab Boards Vs. Veneer

Hi All, I’m looking at a ‘57 Duo-sonic refin, a Musicmaster/Mustang and a ‘66 Mustang all original to buy.

The Duo-Sonic is all original, but the pickups are upgraded to new Rio Grande strat pickups. Comes with original case. Since the ‘57(s) have a toggle switch like the Musicmaster, I was going to relocate the switch near the bridge more. Frets are 9/10 (been dressed)(22.5 scale).

The Musicmaster/Mustang has a ‘59 slab board Musicmaster neck (22.5 scale) and the body is a Mustang (98-2003). Come with no case, and pick ups are a mystery. Pots and switches are a mystery. I’m not very fond of the switches, so I was thinking of adding a 3-way selector switch to add closer to the bridge and hide the toggle switches with a new pick guard, then shop for some Zexcoils vitage pickups. Frets are 10/10.

‘66 Mustang is all original except the pickups are upgraded to antiquities. Comes with non-original case. Has veneer rosewood fret board (24 scale). May sell the pickups and get some Zexcoils, not sure.

Problem is I already have a 65 Mustang(24 scale) and I am in the market for a 22.5 inch scale neck (for practice and travel) but the set up and price of the ‘66 Mustang is appling to me. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

I’m looking to make a process of elimination. So are there any pros and cons to getting slab board vs veneer?

1 Like

Not sure if I’m following, and apologies if so! But to me ‘slab’ means no body countour by the forearm. Like a Telecaster body. This does affect technique. Not positively or negatively, but it influences forearm position and you may like or not like how it feels.

Also, Mustangs are much heavier thanks to the spring bridges, even if you lock them and ditch the arm as I do. I haven’t double checked this but I also think the bridge position is slightly offset between that and the non-trem bodies. Meaning, again, the two styles can feel quite different in weight and arm placement. Not better or worse, just different.

Long story short: I’d recommend trying one of each style first. If not, and cash isn’t really an issue, just get whatever and see how you like it.

2 Likes

In the context of vintage Fenders, slab vs. veneer is usually a reference to neck construction (a flat joint between neck and fingerboard vs. a curved joint). As far as I know, there’s no significant difference in function, it’s just a historical quirk that collectors are interested in.

There’s some discussion and pictures here:

2 Likes

Thanks @Troy. No worries. I’m glad you brought up the slab board bodies. Originally I was talking about the necks but you’ve brought up some great points and recommendations. I have a Telecaster and a Fender Mini. The mini is contoured. And just like you said, I do feel a significant difference in forearm position and technique. I like them both, but favor the contour while sitting and slab while standing. I think the mustang slab will feel better than a tele both sitting and standing. The tele feels like a beast.

Interesting what you say about the bridges and offset. I ended up buying the 59 Musicmaster slab board neck with Mustang body and today bought the vintage hot set to replace the pickups.
https://reverb.com/item/460608-short-scale-american-pre-cbs-fender-musicmaster-neck-1959-japan-mustang-body-red

Then I was ready to buy the 57 Duo-Sonic, had it in the cart, then the guy messaged me that he changed his mind and he decided to keep it. That was my fav. https://reverb.com/item/9190315-fender-duo-sonic-1957-blue .So, I’m looking for another Duo-Sonic. As soon as I get that, I’d like to analyze the slight offset between two. I like the idea of having the Mustang with tremolo and the light-weight Duo-Sonic. Especially for my size!

Now back to the necks. @Frylock thanks for the reference. I’ve heard some rumors about comfort, durability and tone depending if it’s slab board or veneer. Then heard that the curved veneers are more durable but cheap. Then I hear slab boards have great tone, but prone to twisting and pitting during it’s age. Then heard the complete opposite. I read an article that Leo wanted to prevent recalls on the slab board necks and decided to go veneer because they’d last longer and limits recalls. Now I’m not sure how true that all is or if I’m just taking curiosity a bit over board. Typically I like to do all the research before investing, but all the info I’m reading is becoming trivial. So I guess it’s going to boil down to what feels better to me. I have a 65 Mustang neck (veneer) here at home and i have the 59 slab board on it’s way.

1 Like

Aha. Definitely over my pay grade. Did not know about this.

In general, I would say I have spent approximately zero time thinking about necks in any way - what finish is on them, what shape they are, whether they are “fast” or not. If I know there’s a difference, I will care about that difference, so I try to stay virgin for as long as possible!

For me, the finish on the back is the main thing. I don’t like the way I feel my thumb “stick” to a thick glossy finish.

@Frylock @Troy For me it’s the neck length, thickness and curve on the fretboard. I do best with 22.5-24, thin necks and rounded fret boards. I bought a Ibanez RG655 2014 about 4 years ago and now its up for sale in Reverb. The 25.5 inch wizard 3 neck was way too long and the fretboard was too flat for me. But don’t get me wrong, it’s a mighty fine high quality guitar neck. My small hands just didnt like it. So far my 65’ mustang has been the best for me.