Slightly Ulnarized picking

Ive spent countless hours trying to correct my bounce to normal pick slanting and USX. Im barley picking the string. Too since the feel of the correct Depth precision. Is someone out there familiar with this? I believe I have the correct motion. Until I speed up and goes right back to square one?
Ive tried Gypsy style too with no such luck. I’ve sent another Magnet view of my playing. Is this really a a countless hours of doing what feels comfortable and then bam one day ill have it?
Ive been playing guitar for 20 years. This is the biggest set back to my playing. How am I supposed to give it the ol College try when I crash and burn because I don’t have a good feel on depth? When I watch you guys on these forums, your picks are barley going deeper than 5 mm.
So I guess my question is do you keep trying for that 150 Bpm, or fix the dept/ bouncing problem slowly first?

Yes :slight_smile: speed must come first!

Am I correct that you are mostly trying to achieve this with wrist motions? To give yourself more chances, you could try something completely different like elbow or forearm rotation. Anecdotally, we have quite a few examples here on the forum of people who have a very fast elbow motion but somehow did not make use of it.

So you’re saying that speed will come first. Then I can worry about picking depth after that?

@tommo Maybe I should watch that forearm video again. Yes I’m always going back to the wrist movements.So you believe string hopping can be corrected fairly quickly?

It’s slightly different: a fast motion should be fast immediately! If it can’t go fast, then there is something incorrect with the motion (e.g. muscles are not “truly alternating”), and no amount of reps can fix that. So a string hopping motion can’t be “fixed”, it must be abandoned and replaced with a better motion.

Since your nickname says 85 - you know the thing you do when you shake a polaroid picture? That’s a sort of far relative of a picking motion, and most people learn to do it very fast immediately, with no training or metronome practice. Once you figure out the polaroid-shaking motion, you can do it fast immediately :slight_smile:

I personally never controlled pick depth consciously, for me it’s usually the result of seeking more/less volume / attack. But I don’t know if other people instead have a precise method to control this. To be honest I wouldn’t worry about it too much — if you discover a fast tremolo motion it probably means the pick depth has already adjusted itself so to speak.

1 Like

I hope @Rivethead doesn’t mind me sharing his playing - but he recently provided a perfect example of replacing a “slow” motion with a “fast” one: notice the difference between the first and second video:

No worries. If my videos or post can help anyone then I’m happy to help!

@Jeflock85 - I’m right there with you - battling the string hoping motion and trying to find that fast, efficient motion that works. Best of luck to you!