So by definition this has to be crosspicked? correct?

trying to get a grasp on crosspicking as a concept and relate it to stuff I already play or have tried to play

so this lick, by definition this is crosspicking, yes?

E--------5-------7-------8
B---------------------------
G-----5-----7-------8----- etc

with a pick, either starting with up or down, that has to be crosspicked yes?

so the question follows, what about this type of basic pedal point link?

E-------5-----5-----5------------
B----------8------7-----6------
G---------------------------- etc
if that is started with a down and its all inside picking, would that be considered crosspicking or is that just basic 2 way slanting?

what about if started on an upstroke to make it outside picking? isnt that by deffo going to be crosspicking?

edit: haha, I was watching the Martin Miller interview while writing this. just saw one of the above licks at 1:20 lol

Thanks, JJ

1 Like

Crosspicking is generally what we call picking when every pickstroke escapes. This is different from TWPS where you can have (long) sequences of non-escaping pickstrokes interspersed with escaped ones when you actually changes strings.

Many would play your first lick with hybrid picking (use finger to pluck high E string).

3 Likes

yeah I figured someone would say use hybrid lol. Maybe one day but Ill cross that bridge some other time. Thats why I said “with a pick”

sort of the whole basis for the question is that I love the sound of pedal point stuff so I have been working a little on single string pedal stuff but I also on occasion throw in this lick in A minor

B—5–6------6------6-----6------6-------6
G----------7------5------4-------------------
D--------------------------------7-------5----

though I like the sound of the lick i always thought it was a bit cumbersome etc but essentially its just crosspicking, yes? What kind of speed could a pro work this type of pattern up to?

1 Like

Not sure what the speed limit for crosspicking is. There are some examples in the Andy Wood package of crosspicking 16th notes at 180 bpm.

Here is @Troy crosspicking at 190 bpm: Transcription and analysis: Troy Grady can play the guitar very fast

2 Likes