So how does A.O. do it?!?!

What do you mean ???

Just my wry British sense of humour getting a bit lost in translation I fear, please don’t let it worry you

also, Anton’s speed and clarity are admirable but I do think a “good enough to impress people in a guitar shop” version of this is available to anyone who either copies his pick hold and motions or has internalised the Di Meola/Mike Stern/Gilbert wrist motion videos on here and knows a position or two of the harmonic minor scale

it’s definitely cured my massive problem which was all my existing motions couldn’t do a repeated inside string change under any circumstances

1 Like

Need more time to experiment but i will say i was shreddin pretty good yesterday with one of those classic dunlop tortex 0.50mm picks. I never go that thin. Tyically i stay between 1.4 and 2.0mm. But i was like whatever lets try it. It worked very well with the AO pick grip and me practicing alternate picking via wrist motions. Couldve been a fluke result but im gonna keep practicing with the thinner picks for now

I am also used to 1.5/2mm picks but Anton uses 1mm. I asked him about it and he replied that you need just a little bit of flex in the pick, to thin won’t work.

I am trying 1mm for a few days now.

Yeah ill prob come back up and meet somewhere in the middle but it did feel good. Which exact picks does he use?

Edit: deleted other post (exact same post) by response on mobile

I don’t know which exact pick uses.

Would be great to look at short “before-after” clips about these different grips you tried. Only if you want to share of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dunlop Jazz III XL series, blue, 1.0 mm

For simple questions like this you can always just tag me and ask. We’re over 300 replies into this thread and it certainly will cut down on any future bloat or speculation issues in here.

3 Likes

Where exactly is the line drawn regarding what we’re allowed to ask you? The whole thing is a fun act of sleuthing for me, but I do have the utmost respect for anything Anton considers trade secrets or intellectual property. Plus, when sanctions lift I am going to see if I can buy a package or 2 from Anton. I know the mechanism of how he switches strings is off limits. Anything else, in particular?

2 Likes

Just super specific technical or practice approach questions. I wouldn’t know how to draw a line on this.

We can take it as it comes Joe, I’m here to help out. When in doubt just tag and we can go from there.

2 Likes

So in his system, he offers guidance specifically on how to practice various things? If so, that’s interesting to me because I highly suspect my whole life I’ve been doing that wrong. Even the conservatory training I got wasn’t as specific in that area as I would have liked. Lots of ‘play it slow, don’t make any mistakes’ type of advice.

1 Like

I also plan to buy a couple things. Cant wait to get started!!

Yeah it’s a major component of his teachings. If you remember from the video, Anton talks about how even inefficient movements with a good routine can yield a better result than what theoretically should be possible on paper. The visualization line in the video is another aspect of his practice routine. I have footage of that being implemented but that’s for another day. There are also non-guitar related things you can do to improve technical results.

The whole slow/fast thing is really misunderstood. Speed happens naturally if certain things are in place. There’s nothing to worry about there. You never have to “do” anything. I’ve written A LOT about this on here before.

1 Like

Please, let’s not spark this discussion.

2 Likes

It took me a while to be able to go back to the old “wrong” version, which now works quite a lot better than it did last week due to me not flapping about at the finger and thumb so much

apologies for the poor footage but it took me long enough to get that, maybe I’ll grab a magnet when they become available

2 Likes

also I wasted half an hour because I was trying to eliminate swiping on the outside version, and no matter how invisible or inaudible it was in real time it basically looked like I was purposely smashing the string at full pelt in slow motion

1 Like

Reminds me of how I’ve seen John Petrucci reinforce with his middle finger. I think Anton does more of just keeping the index and middle together, directly side-by-side.

For sure, edited the post

2 Likes

Can you link the threads or posts in which youve written about this?

I felt the attack was a bit stiff with the fingers precisely side by side, but am still trying it both ways

1 Like