Some questions about the Michael Angelo Batio Interview

I have been studying the MAB interview and have a question…

In the “fours circular and scale” clip is he using one way pickslanting to play that lick?

In my own analysis he looks to be using upward pickslanting…not sure on this though.

My other question is regarding the “fours desc turnaround”. Again, a lick like this looks like it would require two way pickslanting, but MAB appears to be using all upward pickslanting. Am I correct in this?

1 Like

I believe you are talking about the licks that use “swiping”: in outside descending string changes he is just pushing through a muted string (the muting is done by the left hand index usually). I love that technique, it promotes great smoothness especially in terms of timing, in my opinion!

2 Likes

I think I get it now - because the licks change strings so often he is basically not worrying about changing his pickslanting and just using UWPS for the both licks?

1 Like

It goes further than that: At least prior to his contact with Troy, Batio wasn’t even AWARE that he was ever changing his slant or swiping. Any idiosyncracies about how he does either is something that emerged from his practice intuitively. That’s not to say that he’s not methodical or analytical in general, only that there are some details about how his technique works that he hadn’t been consciously aware of.

1 Like