Something I think the volcanic forum critters will enjoy

I finally put the finishing touches on my DOD 250 overdrive clone built to Yngwie specs. I gotta say this is the secret to a lot of his tone. Throw it in front of a Marshall style amp and plug the single coils in and travel far beyond the sun to a black star. :wink:

6 Likes

U built IT? LETS hear it!!!

3 Likes

That looks awesome! I have built pedals and would be interested in giving this a go. Did you have a PCB done or did you go “point to point”? Also, did you use the 741 op amp?

2 Likes

I got the pcb from aion electronics and used a UA741 chip since I have a bunch from building op amp big muffs a while back. I did tagboard stuff some years back but nowadays the diy community has flourished and there are enough good sites with pcb now like aion, pedal pcb, and dead end fx that pretty much anything I care to build can be had relatively easy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Would love to hear it; if you do post a clip do let us know the entire chain, mic, preamp, plugins, amp settings, speaker cab, mic placement and guitar setup; pickup heights and action including sting gauge. Sorry, that’s a bit of a mouth full :joy:

Very intrigued, also which 741 is that; new production, country of origin and mfd year.

edit: only ask for these details if possible, I’d like to build one too at some point. Hope you don’t mind. Thanks :slight_smile:

Very cool screen printing too!

This is the pcb I used. Built to “gray '79” specs.
The 741 I used is listed as a UA741. I bought a bunch on ebay years ago. LM741 will also work as these are the same spec single op amp chip made by different manufacturers. The character of OD pedals comes more from the combinations of diodes and capacitors than the op amp chips in my experience.
Its actually laser etched not screen printed.
And here is a bit of random noodling I recorded the other night.
Rig is as follows
standard telecaster -> OD -> THR10X on the brown II setting for a marshall base tone, bit of hall reverb, gain on the edge of saturation on the THR10X.
OD settings
Gain: noon
Level: 1 o clock
2 Likes

Sounds damn good! Congratulations, think you nailed it. Sweet playing too.

1 Like