Song to practice TWPS?

Whats up everybody I hope that anyone can suggest a good song to practice TWPS at about 130 bpms that doesn’t get to crazy with the rhythm nor the harmony?
I kind of got tired of just practicing improvisation and looking out licks and i would like to try to learn a whole tune hopefully with a fusion type of vibe
ps please help a brother out haha

1 Like

A lot of Vinnie Moore’s music is based on TWPS and the maximum picking speed is about sextuplets at 130bpm.

It is often very hard stuff though, especially the solos (I always have a hard time transcribing them — even after having access to tabs by other people — I can never understand 100% what he does).

The main themes/melodies are still quite technical but approachable. You can start by having a listen to the albums “The Maze” (more fusiony), “Mind’s eye” (neoclassical), “Meltdown” (Blues rock on steroids), to see if you like the style.

2 Likes

Michael Angelo Batio’s No Boundaries is exactly 130. Lots of sweeps but also a good amount of scalar, usually three note per string runs.

Racer X Scarified is 137, so it’s a little fast. The note groupings per string are a little weird in this one.

Racer X Technical Difficulties is 130 BPM. This tends to be more purely three notes per string.

A good fusion tune would be The Wizard by Al Di Meola. It’s 155 BPM, so it’s a little fast but the guitar rhythm isn’t too crazy. It’s got really cool little fast runs.
3 Likes

really appreciate your recommendations especially this one, Im still getting out of the jazz comma so dont know much about this style of playing. I was looking for something to play on an electric but the song ‘‘never been to barcelona’’ is really catchy and it makes me want to take the dust out my acoustic, the whole album is on point

1 Like

I was thinking about an Al Di Meola tune but I dont want to spend that much trying to play it haha so I settle for spain and if I get lucky maybe I will try to figure out some of the licks from the live perfomance with McLaughlin and Paco