Song X - instrumental rough recording

I like it, listened to it earlier and can’t get it out of my head.

1 Like

Hey! I thought this was great - nice playing, cool composition man - keep working it and it will get there.

I am gonna drop a wee bit of constructive criticism here, hopefully it helps? Okay so one of the things I always enjoy in music that I listen to is balance. If it’s a killer band like Jamiroquai or Jeff Beck Group or Steve Morse or Steve Vai or Eric Johnson or whatever, the key to the song being successful is the support behind the main parts. So if it’s a Beyonce type thing, or Alicia Keys then everything is going to take a back seat to the singer and the lyric. Every note will have it’s spot. Steve Vai; same thing. Every note, and articulation adds to the overall presentation and interpretation of said piece of music.

In the instance of your song, I’d revisit the drums. Finger drum the snare and the kick 8 measures at a time and see what you come up with. Then once you’re happy with that try and add cymbals (hats/ride etc) to your live playing of the groove (use a maximum of 2 thumbs, and 2 fingers) and it will breathe all kinds of new life into your creations! I use a keyboard or a lightpad.

Best therapy ever; get ahold of a drumkit and PLAY those drums! Soooo fun!

2 Likes

Thank you both for your replies, @SlyVai and @Scottulus . Much appreciated.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense that the composition should be well balanced. I’ll have to try out some finger drumming. Sounds like fun. A keyboard or a lightpad definitely sounds like a good idea. I would love to play a little bit on a real kit. It’s just there’s only so many hours in the day, so time can become a factor.

Sorry it’s taken me a while to get back to you all. I have been dealing with life stuff, school is starting back up, etc.

I like this, some really good ideas here. Some of it reminds me of Michael Schenker’s “Desert Song” in grunge and in a cool way.