Speed and DWPS...When does it click?

I’ve been playing for many years now and never focused too much on techinique. Been more of a noodler. I’ve always wanted to tap in higher speed shred runs but could never seem to grasp them. Now I am working with CTC and just trying this single string run to start. I’m not expecting results right away and know it will take some work but I am finding my fingers get confused when I try to pick faster.

What should I be expecting when and if this barrier ever breaks? How long did it take for things to click?

I find tension builds and I can’t seem to figure out how to release the tension.

3 Likes

Thanks for joining our little mechanical learning caravan here!

There are lots of “clicks”, it depends what you’re asking about. Re: speed, keep in mind that pickslanting and speed are not strictly related. Meaning, having a downward slant or upward slant by itself doesn’t do anything to make it easier to play fast.

However there is a connection between the pickslant and the type of picking motion you use to achieve it. Downward pickslanters very often use forearm rotation, and upward pickslanters are usually either elbow or wrist players. These are not absolute rules, but they hold for enough players that if you’re looking for a starting point, you can consider this a rule of thumb of sorts.

Point being, I wouldn’t worry about pickslanting at all to start with. Choosing a picking motion is a more fundamental decision that needs to be sorted out first. Do you use elbow, forearm, or wrist motion currently? Which one? Can you do it fluidly on a single string? Those are really the first steps.

4 Likes

This is good info man :ear:

1 Like

Thanks Troy, much appreciated response.

I guess I need to spend more time focusing more technically on things and isolate what is setting me back. I had always been taught use less pick i.e. the tip and minimize hand motion. I have been trying to do that and use my wrist to minimize motion and create speed but it just get tense and sloppy.

I watch players like Satch, Mike Kenally and Steve Morse, EVH all which have obvious different picking approaches i.e. how they hold the pick and how they move across the strings with speed and accuracy. Blows me away, and leads me to believe theres more to it than how the pick is held.

I may have to try and re-learn things…I may have developed some bad habits that have been holding me back. Possibly will have to work left and right hand synchronization and modifying how the motion of my picking hand.

Will keep posted in my progress in a moths time.

Thanks again! Looking forward to the journey.

JD

2 Likes

There is no “it”, it’s a “them”! Picking technique is a collection of parts, like a car engine - pick choice, pick grip, anchor type, picking motion, and so forth. They all work together. And also many of these different combinations work just as well as the others. Back in the day, we used to think there was some kind of secret sauce or magic bullet to these things — wrist! elbow! minimal pick on the string! etc. — but there is not. The reason you see so many different approaches is actually because many approaches work just fine.

As we’ve been discussing, your picking motion is the most fundamental choice you need to make, and I suppose I would add pick choice and grip to that equation as well. But again, try not to think of this process as looking for a secret sauce or magic bullet. Instead, you’re just looking for any combination of these things that you find comfortable and fluid.

As we move forward with the new site we’ll be adding more beginner content about making these choices with an eye toward demystifying some of the baggage we grew up with. But for the time being, try get a smooth natural movement happening given at least one of these basic setups, and you’ll be on your way.

5 Likes

This answer is different for everyone. This is impossible to give a set value. How you practice will determine your rate of progress and when anything may “click”.

All my students who have been stuck at getting faster begin seeing immediate results when they do metronome work the way I built my speed. Most of us have to gradually build the speed up the same way you build strength. Slowly increase the tempo just like you slowly add weight.

There seems to be a stigma in the guitar community that any tension whatsoever is the worst thing in the world. If you experience muscle tension, you’re fine. You don’t get stronger by avoiding tension. Your muscles tire and tense up, slow down after a lot of use. This is normal and part of the process to pushing your speed barriers.

Joint pains, stuff that feels like a twinge, sharpness, etc. is different. That stuff is a sign to take a break and rest a bit. Muscle pain, where it just feels like your hand/arm wants to cramp up because you’re pushing yourself if fine. Your body WILL adapt to it. Eventually, the tension you feel will become less and less frequent, and eventually go away completely until you begin pushing your physical limitations once again.

And, as far stopping as soon as any pain sets in when playing guitar, for those that preach this, did they forget what it’s like to build callouses? Remember how painful it was for your thumb when learning barre chords? Pain is not necessarily a bad thing. It’s usually a good thing. Your body is adapting to the new stresses you’re putting on it, and will become better and stronger.

Joint pain is no joke though. Don’t push that stuff. Muscle pain? You’re fine. I have yet to hear of anyone tearing a biceps playing guitar.

4 Likes

I agree, but a caveat: the beginnings of tendon problems can feel like muscle pain, at least to me.

2 Likes

I think a safe bet is if you feel something directly in your joint, it might be best not to push things. Most people tell me they feel tension in their thumb muscles and forearm muscles.

If I push the jiggle picking too hard for too long, I will feel a weird twinge in my elbow. That’s when I know it’s time to not push things.

1 Like

Yeah, careful with the dramatic shifts in technique, developed some nasty tendon issues while finding what works. Arm muscles are evolved to be used, but strain while focusing on one thing? Yikes. Don’t wish that on anyone.

It’s UNNECESSARY tension that must be avoided, the sort of thing like clamping your jaw, grinding one foot into the ground, gripping the neck like you’re trying to kill it ready for christmas dinner.

Some tension in the muscles you’re actually using is unavoidable, though obviously you need to make sure it isn’t excessive, but as long as you’re aware of it and in control of it rather than it just being an unconscious reaction or artifact of some other aspect of your technique then you’re on the right track.

As for pain, dull aches and a bit of fatigue are ok; sharp pains, shooting twinges, nervey sort of pain or tingling are a sign to not do whatever that thing was again.

2 Likes