Speed bevels & 2WPS

I almost ordered a Blue chip pick with speed bevels today. Blue chip lets you order speed beveled pick for either left or right handed players.

That got me thinking, would a pick with speed bevels for a right handed player glide easier over the strings in DWPS mode and have more resistance in UWPS mode.

Anyone experimented with speed bevelled picks with 2WPS? If so, did you notice the pick gliding noticeably easier in DWPS or UWPS mode? Or any prolific 2WPS players noticed wear patterns that are similar to speed bevels? My own UWPS doesn’t feel like a familiar enough movement for me to compare with confidence.

PS. Ridiculous price for Blue chips, I know, but they really do sound great, glide really well across the strings, and last a REALLY long time.

Not as long as you pick with the same side of the pick either way
Think of it

Any standard pick,delrin i.e. developes bevels when using them
And i own right side bevels in some custom made picks and it doesn’t fell different with uwps or dwps

1 Like

Thanks for the input!

Yes, most of the picks I use develops bevels. But I’m primarily a DWPS player, trying to develop my UWPS chops. So I feel my beveled picks would be a bad comparison.

I find that the blue chips don’t develop the bevel naturally because the material is just too durable.

The same happens with red bear picks

If I understand the issue correctly, it is not a question of pickslanting. It is a question of edgepicking: either leading edge or trailing edge. At least in my case, the picking edge doesn’t change with pickslanting change.

1 Like

I think the edge you choose to pick with matters. In other words it depends on whether you are a leading edge picker or trailing edge picker.

Edit: @Medium_Attempt beat me to it.

2 Likes

That’s it. I find that my current UWPS technique involves extending the thumb, which for me means using both edges. So I should probably not go for speed bevels. Or try to alter my technique, I’ve been thinking for some time that there seems to be too much movement when shifting from DWPS to UWPS.

Hah, I remember when long ago I used to be upset that my picks would wear off asymetrically :smiley: So I tried to somehow play both leading and trailing edges :smiley: Luckily, I soon stopped caring about the way they wear off as long as they are playable.

I guess you are right. Asymmetric bevel may feel uneven if you use both ways of edgepicking. But it’s only my speculation.
Can’t they do bevel on both edges? :thinking:

1 Like

Worth noting that while Andy Wood raves about BlueChip and can’t say enough good about them, because they are too expensive to throw into the crowd etc., he said in his recent “live” interview (and in prior statements) that he uses Planetwaves Black Ice picks on stage.

@Frylock
It’s cheaper to throw an EHX Crayon or Soul Food into the crowd every night than a blue chip.

1 Like

Hah, I remember thinking the exact same thing years ago, before I was aware of things like 2WPS and the angle of the pick.

Yes they do offer the “normal bevel” option, but like Homer Simpson’s speed holes, I’m a sucker for any option that offers anything marketed as speed related. Will probably go for the “normal bevel” in this case. Thanks for your thoughts!

1 Like