Speed Difficulty Question

Hello,

I was hoping to get some feedback as I’ve been working for a few weeks and not seeing as much progress as I’d hope and I’m feeling discouraged. I was hoping someone could take a look at a snippet and give me some feedback and pointers.

The little lick is from Tom Petty’s “Running Down a Dream” solo that coasts along at 170bpm. There are these triplet hammer on moves that I’ve desperate to get up to - but I’m just not getting there.

Here’s a link:

Thanks so much!

1 Like

I noticed your pull-offs seems to use quite a bit of movement. If your after speed, it’s best to minimize the distance your fingers move after the pull-off. It’s a bit of a finesse move, but if you spend a few weeks working on it, you’ll be surprised how much more quickly and efficiently you can play if you do this.

2 Likes

Thank you!!! I’ll work on that immediately! Did you see anything else?

Not really. Pull-offs are often a problem for guitarists. But ironically, they can be done with incredible speed. I’ve gotten to a point where I can do a pull-off descending scale faster than I can ascend a scale with hammer-ons. And this isn’t because I’ve ‘sped up’ my movements… it’s because I barely move my fingers at all with my pull-offs… it’s just pure finesse.

1 Like

Is there any “trick” to developing this or is it just a case of “do lots and lots of pull offs until you can do it”

What helped me was watching others pull-off efficiently. Rick Graham does a really good job with this. He has a really nice form, and it tends to lend itself better to efficient pull-offs.

1 Like

Hamsterman gave great advice.

Only thing I can contribute is as you practice do it first with focus on perfection of every note no matter the speed (you will tense up some), then work on relaxing ALL muscles (hand, arm, shoulder etc up to face and toes)