Standing vs Sitting

Anyone else have trouble playing as well standing with a strap compared to sitting? I realize the obvious answer… practice standing up idiot! I just can’t seem to stand for hours at a time while I practice so I end up doing most of my practice sitting and probably 15% smoother at the least. Anyway just curious if anyone else has anything to add.

1 Like

If the problem with standing is your feet, try wearing athletic shoes during practice. Also, practicing for more than about 45 minutes at a time probably sees a big dropoff in benefit for the additional time. And walking around while you practice is probably easier on your legs/back than standing in one spot.

2 Likes

I think that ensuring that the guitar is in the same position sitting as it is when standing. Thats why I use a strap when sitting and use a classical posture - when I stand up there is minimal difference. For me, the fretting hand struggles more than the picking hand when standing up

3 Likes

I think the limited returns only applies if you are practicing the same thing. I split my practices into different categories and some of that is learning songs or other stuff that has nothing to do with technique. Plus if I don’t play for several hours often, then when I go to band practice and play back to back songs for four hours I am fading by the end of the night. On the strap, when I’m sitting the strap is too loose… maybe a new chair would help. Anyone play in one of those knee chairs?

1 Like

Ha, for a split second in the mid-nineties. These days I’m a strong proponent of standing. At work I’ve a sit/stand desk and I’m on my feet eight out of nine hours or so. I could only do that with a mat under my (bare socked) feet, as the concrete underneath the rug is too much wear and tear. Took me about a month to stop noticing I was standing and to grow to prefer it. I believe I am healthier all around for it. Now I struggle to find ergonomic piano keyboard stands that bring things up high enough.

Bump on making sure you are in the same position sitting and standing, and really, for me at least, I find it easier to just stand. There are pillows (for the left leg) and tricks with wrapping the strap around a leg that my acoustic wielding artist friends use. Mileage may vary.

I do most of my playing standing up. I don’t really gig these days, but back when i did I was always standing while playing, so it made sense to practice in the same posture.

1 Like

I think in most cases its more of a mental thing, unless you have legitimate problems with your back or knees or something.

Why is the strap loose? I always sit in a classical position (good for your back and fretting arm/hand) so that the guitar position mimics the position when standing. The way I check that I’m doing it properly is that the strap (which is the same length as when standing) almost takes the weight of the guitar and does not slip of the shoulder. It does not take the weight (otherwise what is the point of siting down?), but the instant I start to stand I feel the weight, but the guitar stays pretty much in the same place. I do have to point out, this isn’t the sort of position to use when tryong yo look good lol. I have the guitar quite high I suppose…

Well, the strap is loose because it hangs down lower when I stand. I do have back problems which makes it uncomfortable to stand in the same position for any length of time. Interesting to hear most of you stand so far. Maybe a large workout ball, ha

Isn’t that the issue? If you raise the guitar strap closer to your centre of gravity, would it help your back. If you sit with the guitar in the same position as standing, that would enable you to practice knowing that it will feel the same standing up , but sitting is probably easier for your back. I can’t sit for any length of time with the guitar on my right leg without my back cramping…

Yes, I think you guys have a point. You can’t all be wrong! Okay consensus says find a way to bring my standing and sitting guitar position into alignment. I’m going to see what I can do. Thanks for the comments.

1 Like

I hope you feel the benefit, having a bad back is soul destroying. Just make sure that when sitting down, the strap isnt taking the weight otherwise your neck/upper back takes the brunt! I think it should balance on the leg, but the strap doesn’t slip off. Let us know how you get on…

1 Like