Steve Vai GIT Seminar 1985

Just stumbled upon this gem from the archives. Amazing document of Vai’s playing and musical approach circa the Alcatrazz / Flex-able era. Wowwww.

4 Likes

So awesome! At just 25 years old he was better than I’ll ever be :rofl:

This is a great find @LuckyMojo thanks !

Ive not watched it all yet but so far it’s good stuff, hearing Viv Woman without the horns is weird but what an amazing player he is, blows me away every time I see him play.

Steve says he always had to work really hard on practicing to get to his level and he hasn’t got a natural talent.

Reminds me that we all have the potential to become great players if we have the time and energy and aptitude. Unfortunately I don’t have all those things; although when I started at age 12 I did and was trying to do similar practicing schedules to his, just I never kept it going long enough or wasn’t smart enough. I guess also some people are just naturals and have true talent but I’m certainly not in that category either.

Steve seems to have a natural talent to me but maybe it’s hard to differentiate that from someone who is just playing and playing , hour after hour, day after day… for years ?