Steve's Introduction

Hey everyone! New to Cracking the Code and grateful that this exists. I’m not a new player in the sense that I’ve spent a few years ‘noodling’ and picked up quite a bit along the way. But my picking technique is sloppy and inconsistent because I never took the time to develop it. Now I realize how much of a hinderance it is.

I’m one of those lefties (somewhat ambidextrous) that does many things the right handed way, including play guitar. Playing a lefty guitar feels completely alien to me. In my mind, fretting with my dominant hand makes alot of sense — but that decision was a consequence of what felt natural when I got my first guitar.

I feared that down the road I would hit some kind of speed or technique ceiling because of this, but I learned recently that Michael Angelo Batio is a lefty that plays righty too. I was so relieved because he’s not just some guitar player, he’s an absolute monster. I don’t necessarily want to play that fast or play metal for that matter, but it’s nice to know that somebody like me could reach those heights.

As for my musical tastes, I like just about everything except for country (sorry :man_shrugging:).

In terms of finding my sound, it’s too early to tell. I recognize the profound impact that blues has had on music (my favourite course in university was an elective on this very topic), but I don’t necessarily want to be another blues-rock or primarily pentatonic player.

I guess I’ll leave off with telling you the hardware. I have a Yamaha Acoustic and an Epiphone Les Paul. I got to a certain point with my playing where I was frustrated by the form factor of the LP, so I’ve got a brand new Strat on the way to continue my learning with.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hey, welcome and thanks for joining! Hope you’re finding everything you need so far, and don’t hesitate to let us know if you have questions, want to share some playing, or anything else we can help with!

1 Like