Straght 1-3-5 arpeggios, 3 octaves

This type of thing is my nemesis. I can only sweep effectively ascending so that never sounds good at speed. Tapping just feels like too many position switching to keep track of. Funny thing is, cross picking is probably my best sounding approach but I can only medium speed it.

Anyway if any of you can nail this kind of thing please share some strategies.

Thx!

Probably best to record a video on a specific lick that you are working - I’m sure some of the more analytically savvy legends on the forum will take a look at it.

1 Like

I don’t have a specific fingering or technique in mind, just looking for suggestions on how to approach it. Fingering included… string skipping, tapping, etc.

For example though, for a D minor, just D F A up three octaves and back. What is the smoothest way you can play this at speed?

I would use string skipping to play straight arpeggios like that. I am not good at sweeping from high to low strings either, and I find it’s difficult to control the number of notes per beat when sweeping, so I choose to string skip.

If I was going for an alternate picking arpeggio I would do a 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 arpeggio pattern, like this…