String Tracking Clarification

I have a couple quick questions regarding string tracking. Should three string groupings use only wrist tracking? Because it may be incorrect, but I think I notice some slight forward movement of the arm when watching @Troy and others playing even just between two strings. I notice this in my own playing too. I am really trying to get my tracking to feel comfortable between all strings especially for 2nps stuff and I’m not sure if I should be focusing on only wrist or if using a combination can work when going across small distances. It’s not a large arm movement, but it appears to be there. The other question I had is how much should my arm track when I move to a new group of three strings? Like when playing the cascading sixes in the style of Eric Johnson and Zakk Wylde? Or really just whenever you are moving to a new string. Should there always be three strings accessible from any given position? And which three? I feel like I am definitely overthinking this and I should just go by feel more at this point. I hope any of this even makes sense haha.

1 Like

There is no “should” in any of this.

some guys use wrist, some use arm, some use a blend. Some guys REALLY anchor their arm or wrist and it pretty much doesnt move anymore. So obviously they are mainly changing the wrist angle and/or using finger manipulation etc

Maybe you are overthinking it a bit but its no big deal

One of the differences in me now and me 20 years ago is that now I DO move my arm to string track. I remember I used to actually MISS the high E string a lot because id do weird ways of reaching up for it with wrist rotation to where the pick would actually end up picking the air instead of the string lol

So I just picked up the guitar and checked to make sure I dont lie.

I love 3 string groupings for things and I do a ton of licks on the GBE group for instance. My style is definitely 2 way slanting and in that I sort of aim for minimal pickslanting. So when I do 3 string groupings there IS some slight movement of the arm. I also love 2 string groupings and on those there is less arm movement but there does still seem to be some tiny movement.

for me, I “anchor” my forearm and then my hand just kind of lays flat across the strings. the heel of my hand usually stays in contact and the other fingers generally do but its all pretty light

I say “anchor” because the arm still moves around of course. The way it actually works is that the skin moves lol. You can plop your arm down and then move it all around several inches, without actually picking it up, just by the skin looseness etc

for fun you can look up “extrinsic vs intrinsic learning.” Some of this stuff we are aware of and some of it we arent. When u walk, I guarantee that you arent aware of the super complex coordination of various muscles and joint angles.

Same for guitar playing and specific subjects like string tracking. You have fingers, wrist, elbow, shoulder, skin and each of them can do various motions etc. I think a general awareness is good but maybe its counter-productive to worry too much about every detail.

When you are playing good maybe take a look at how the tracking is working etc.

Definitely put all of the “should” crap out of your mind. You are the boss

1 Like

Yes I’d say overthinking a little. If you are using something like wrist motion, you won’t see huge amounts of elbow or shoulder joint motion between smaller string groupings like two strings. If there is any it’s not conscious and I wouldn’t worry about this too much. If you are using elbow motion for picking, then it becomes even harder to separate what is tracking versus what is picking, because the same joint is moving.

In general try not to follow an all or none approach. From our interviews with players they almost all use a blend of approaches. Big jumps or long continuous motion is bigger joints like elbow and shoulder. Smaller distances, especially if it’s repetitive, small joints. In general just try to find smoothness.

I definitely agree that most people use a mix of wrist & elbow, but how much you use of each kinda depends on the style of things you want to play.

Since you mentioned EJ, and 2nps stuff, I think you have similar tastes to me, and like a lot of linear patterns… and for those, it benefits you to learn a style doesn’t rely as much on ‘reaching over’ with your wrist, and relies a bit more on moving your whole arm (with your elbow and/or shoulder)

But one cool thing I’ve noticed is that if you have a really wide pick-stroke, the tracking movements don’t have to be too much, and you need just a little extra motion to track. This has become invaluable for me when it comes to 2 string alternation (specifically outside 2 string alternation).

I’ll just keep working on the combo I’ve been doing.

Do you use forearm rotation?