Stroke angle crossing the string

Regardless of DWPS & UWPS, and Crosspicking, there is another variable I’m looking at with my playing. It is the angle of the stroke with relation to the nut and bridge. For example, with a downstroke as the pick crosses the string, it gets closer to the bridge, and with an upstroke it gets further away from the bridge. Or vice versa… , or it can be exactly perpendicular to the string.

My stroke is angled so that a downstroke moves closer to the bridge, It crosses the string at almost 45 degrees away from the perpendicular, but not quite.

Does this variable even matter?

1 Like

I used to play like that, but since i incorperated stringtracking into my playing i almost go in a straight line.
The thing is that otherwise the angle of the pick is different on the higher vs the lower strings, and i like to keep that angle as similair as possible.

1 Like

I have incorporated string tracking as well, but I do the same 45 degree angle on every string.

1 Like

Ah, i did not read it correct. thought you ment on the lower strings you have a different angle then on the higher strings.
I also have an angle, and on downstrokes more toward bridge and on upstroke towards nut movement. Maybe not 45 degrees but more like 30, because i like that sound more.

ok, so it seems if you use pure ulnar and radial deviation in the picking motion, this “side angle” of pick attack will be determined by the angle your wrist lays over the strings. The more your wrist comes over the top of the strings the more the side angle attack will be further from the perpendicular. If you went to extreme nonsense and your wrist approach angle to the strings was 0 degrees ( pointing down the barrel from the bridge to the nut ), then deviation alone will make the side angle pick attack at the perpendicular. But otherwise, once your wrist approach angle is fixed, It seems the only way to alter the side angle attack is to combine the deviation with some amount of pronation or supination.

I can bring the side angle attack closer to the perpendicular with the following:

On my downstroke which is ulnar deviation, I add some pronation.
On my upstroke which is radial deviation, I add some supination.

This is the motion I have been doing attempting to do cross picking, which I also string track on. It is where I noticed the difference in the side angle attack versus my pure deviation picking… and then started detailing it…