Stuck in a prison (Help with breaking a speed barrier)

Hi! for the past two years I have been struggling with the solo from the song You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison by My Chemical Romance. I have the entire song down to nearly perfection but I loose it at around this point. What Ray is doing is a 3 note per string scale up the neck on the D string using two pick strokes for each note. From what I can find based on live videos its alternate picked. My main problem is hand synchronization and being able to pick that fast. I use edge picking with a wrist motion but I feel like I can’t break my barrier at all with this. If anyone knows how to solve this please help! Tabs for reference

1 Like

Oh man my wife and I still jam this album all the time! Pretty much guaranteed on road trips lmao.

I’ve never tried playing this song, but the tab seems… Off? In my head I remember hearing alternate picked patterns of 6. Might be helpful to see if anyone has posted a vid of it.

If you want, post a video to see if there’s any feedback I / others could provide. I could also give it a shot and post (if it helps).

1 Like

There’s concert footage and videos of them in the studio recording the song.

As for concert footage:
Glasgow 5/30/22
Live in Manchester at the O2 Apollo 10/24/10
Live at Eden Project 5/16/22

1 Like

Nice! Yeah I’d say the tab is not correct. Sounds like repeating 6s going up the scale, alternate picked for sure. I’d you need help earing it out, let me know and I can post a video of it slow.

I know how to play it, it’s more the picking that I struggle with. It would be helpful if I could see someone else play it properly. I’ve looked up covers but only a few are able to get it down. One thing I have noticed is that I use my index finger on my fretting hand as an anchor which causes me to tense up. Ray however lets go of the string moves to the next note. If I do this I feel like I loose my spot. I’ll try and post a video to show you