Stuck: USX forearm technique

Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on my USX technique for quite a while now and I’ve hit two main roadblocks.

First, my technique is inconsistent.
Sometimes I can play an Eric Johnson descending fives or sixes lick fast on the first try, but more often it’ll take me a little while every practice session to find the proper technique. I think I switch unconsciously between a number of USX techniques of varying efficacy.

Second, even at its best, it’s not nearly as fast as I’d like.

Here are some videos in which I play an even-note-per-string lick from Ben Eller with two somewhat different forms; (they might the same movement, but I’m not sure):

Here’s a video where I play around with a variety of movements in the rotation/wrist-forearm (?) family—none feels much better than the rest, and none are particularly fast

I’d love some feedback, let me know if anything pops out at you.

When you’re learning a forearm rotation technique you will find the power is intermittent at the start. Bottom video at 24 seconds you had a burst of speed. If you practice this for short amounts of time over some months it’ll start to stick. You can’t get the reliable speed initially but you shouldn’t think you’re failing. You’re looking to see how many times a burst of speed like this reappears, and the more it happens the better it’s going. Eventually the consistent speed arrives, and then you’ve got a proper motion, so you can then mess about with grips and posture.

4 Likes

You’re looking to see how many times a burst of speed like this reappears, and the more it happens the better it’s going.

Thanks for your response, that’s sounds like a helpful way to think about it. I’ll keep up the 1-nps practice.