Studio Monitors advice

Hi peeps,

I’m currently running the following as a temporary measure:

Tube amp > captor X > crappy sound bar

I want to replace the crappy sound bar with some studio monitors (for obvious reasons :grin:), but have no clue what I should be aiming for and how much to spend. Although I will be going back to a real cab soonish, I want to buy some monitors that I can still use for recording, backing tracks etc. via a computer/phone/tablet.

I’m not looking for Abbey Rd here, but want to avoid the sub-par crap.

What sort of stuff do I need to consider? The room that they will be used in is a small 3m x 2m study, preferably on a desk (not free standing or attached to a wall).

I haven’t been in a studio for so long, so please consider me stupid on the subject, its impossible for me to be offended/patronised!

IK Multimedia’s iLoud MTM
I’ve not tried these myself yet, but I’ve been researching this myself as I’ve had to move into a much smaller room. They are designed for desktop and seem to have some room correction software. The reviews seem good though.

On the slightly more expensive side you have the genelec 8010a. I love genelec. I’ve had a few different models over the years. I’ve not tried these yet either, but they are on my shortlist.

You can still treat a small room with bass traps and foam etc, but id probably avoid large 8inch speakers. They really need to be in a bigger room. Smaller speakers means you’ll lose some of the bass, but there are so many options these days that it’s not as much of a problem, imo.

1 Like

Depending on your long-term goals, you could get away with just using decent headphones. If you’re set on monitors, you can get new ones for $100 a pair for entry level (and the price skyrockets depending on your requirements for critical listening, but then that means you’d also want to treat the room, get high-end converters…).

Thanks for the recommendation - I’ll check it out!

I don’t think that I have any lofty long-term goals and I don’t have a particularly discerning ear, but I like the freedom of no headphones and a balanced sound

I think something on the lower end of the spectrum will suit you fine especially for you want to do. Unless you are working in a tuned environment anything higher end would be a waste. I would go for something like the kali audio lp6 or something similar. I’ve heard good things about them and they aren’t super expensive.

2 Likes

I bought Misha Mansoor’s studio monitors that he used to record/mix the early Periphery demos (which were all pro quality sounding). They’ve served me well for over a decade. One finally bit the dust and I’ll have to go shopping and replace them. What I bought from him is (was lol) m-audio BX5a’s. I think I paid him $100 total, for the pair. Whatever is comparable to them should be fine for you.

I have a pair of Presonus Eris 3.5 and they are cheap and very decent sounding!

1 Like

@tommo These are precisely the ones I was thinking at $100 a pair (in the US lol). My friend has a pair and loves them as well.

1 Like

Crikey, they are mighty affordable! I probably would have overlooked those based on £79 price!

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=625881

i have like the prior versions of these so mine are more square, and have less features. but i got some of these cause they are affordable, and i use them with my synthesizers when i need a break from guitar.

I’ve been using a pair of KRK Rockit 5 for may years, slightly fuller sounding, a lot of fun.

If I’d have to do it again, I’d probably get the Yamaha HS8 for a bigger sound, still a lot of fun.

Kali’s are a great budget option for critical mixing, may not be as much fun as these other two.

These are all budget monitors, sweet spot on the bang for your buck literally.

I picked up set of these recently. Couple that with sonarworks calibration software and getting a pretty flat freq response. Does the job for me.

1 Like

Great experience with Presonus eris (xt 8’s) and anything from Kali in term so bang for your buck.

I have some BX8a’s. Did you find your 5’s to be bass-heavy?

I think they had a pretty flat response. BUT since they are the only ones I’ve ever used, I could have just accepted the way stuff sounded out of them :slight_smile:

Something to consider when comparing bass response opinions is placement in the room, with corner placements being the most bass heavy and freestanding the least.

For sure, and if you don’t treat the corners, there will be a bass boost.

Treatment isn’t cheap though, so whether it’s worth it depends on what you are aiming for and if you have a room you can spare for this purpose.

Also, with problematic rooms, I can’t praise sonorworks software enough. Really tamed the bass boost and the annoying low mid mud in my room.
I do have my room treated, although it’s not an ideal size so had lots of problem areas that corner traps couldn’t help with.

So you can probably get away with less treatment with that software. Wish I tried that before mangling my room…

1 Like