Studying Randy Rhoads

Hi Guys,

A year ago I started with CTC and since them I tryied to figure out the style and techniques of Randy Rhoads, one of the best of all time.

Unfortunatly there is no big amount of information about him. Because of that I created this topic to put together the best information about him we can find.

I’ll start with this site - http://www.rhoadsscholar.com/

It was created by a guy who used to be a Randy’s student and reunites old lessons made by Randy. I can’t say a lot about the e-book because I just bought but my first impression is good with information about his patterns, scales and fretboard visualisation.

I think this is a start. If you have anything to share or say please do.

4 Likes

That’s a really interesting site, Filipe, thanks for sharing! Rather inexpensive for an e-book, I’ll probably check it out just out of curiosity.

I’ve had to teach Randy’s solos a bit myself, and I’ve always found his note choice to be really interesting in a quirky kind of way. He chose some really dissonant or “wrong” notes a lot, in a way that I’d almost assume he made a mistake on the recording except for the fact that he often double or even triple tracked his solos, so he definitely intended the notes to be that way.

His right hand looks like he’s a primary down-slanter, although he definitely did some kind of two-way movements in order to alternate pick across some of those pentatonic licks he did.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply BlackinMind.

This is an intersting topic. I think his unusal note choice is somenthing that you don’t discovery in the first look, it’s coverd by the hard rock/heavy metal feel of the songs. There is a book wrote by Wolf Marshall analyzing the change of keys and modes in Randy’s solos. Very intersting since from Quiet Riot but it gets too much deeper in Diary of a Madman.

Absolutely. I spent the last one year studing dwps with the Volcano and Cascade seminar, and I had a tough time trying to play his pentatonic patterns. But since I’ve switched to 2wps this patters became easy and fluid to play.

2 Likes