Stylus Pick - Any Thoughts?

Does stylus pick really help you be able to pick faster? Any thoughts?

I have one and the way the string keeps snagging on the lip, because you’re using too much tip, is incredibly annoying.

I have seen Troy picking with lots of tip showing so I honestly don’t think using minimal amounts of tip is the answer.

1 Like

I had one when I was a kid and had the same issue. The top get caught under the string.
Not for me.

I used to have one many years ago, but now I think it’s a remnant of pre-CtC thinking where the way to go fast was “choke up on the pick.” Indeed, the designers probably think it’s beneficial for the pick to abruptly stop if one exposes too much tip.

If I recall, it came with exercises, and those might be good, but I forgot them.

https://www.styluspick.com

1 Like

Looks like a nightmare to me :grin:

(I like to dig in)

Waste of time.
it only works if you avoid pickslant almost completely.
So, it contradicts almost everything CtC stands for.
I tried to progress with it for a while years ago but with the informations given here i really would suggest the trash bin for these picks.

1 Like

It’s unbelievably annoying - the way the string keeps getting stuck on the pick. I know that’s how it is designed and that is what the pick is supposed to train you to avoid. If anyone wants to learn to pick with just the tip I would advise them against using a Stylus pick because it’s so frustrating to use. Maybe if you stuck with it for a couple of weeks you would get used to it, but you would have to have the patience of a saint to be able to stick with it for the aforementioned reason IMO.

1 Like

It did intentionally “catch” in the strings if you exceeded a certain threshhold of pick attack depth. I agree that neither “choking up” on the pick grip nor keeping pick attack depth especially shallow are necessary for fast alternate picking. Though that comes with the caveat that for double-escaped picking, once you exceed some extreme depth of pick attack, it will start to undermine the ease of getting pickstrokes to escape in both directions. Even in the single-escaped case, beyond a certain pick attack depth, the pick would start to strike the adjacent string (though this would be beyond the normal range of pick attack depths that I think most people would intuitively employ).

But the idea of maintaining a consistent pick attack depth is helpful. While I never put in significant hours with the Stylus pick, it did a good job of illustrating how you can lock in a feeling of smoothness in fast alternate picking by limiting variation in pick attack depth. You can achieve a similar effect by doing exercises where the pick barely touches the string. Again, not to teach yourself to always pick that shallow, but to get used to the idea of being able to dial in a picking motion that consistently applies a particular pick attack depth, whatever you want that depth to be.

I haven’t looked at the Stylus Pick exercises in forever, but offhand I suspect some of them included string changes that require double-escaped pickstrokes, though “trapped” and “escaped” concepts in the CTC sense are never addressed. In that sense it’s probably sort of like Stetina’s Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar: exercises that could be a source of frustration when viewed naively, but that can take on a new dimension when viewed through a CTC lens.

1 Like