Sweep-picking approach

Hi, I’ve posted a video for your analysis, perhaps you can see some traits and give advice on how I can maybe develop these. I use sweep picking for the majority of my playing and have been working on a more coherent sweep-hybrid approach, although not like Marshals style, it’s more geared towards fixing my own short comings and not for super speed. I’ll post more videos as it develops.
Thanks in advance

7 Likes

This sounds and looks fantastic!

I don’t see anything that needs “fixing”, so unless you have specific problems I’d just say keep doing what you are doing and share more of your music with us :slight_smile:

PS: in terms of motions it looks to me like mostly wrist combined with a little forearm rotation. It also looks like you move between two slightly different setups depending on whether you are sweeping up or down (by re-orienting the forearm). But again almost a moot point since it seems to work great for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for having a look, I was maybe moving more than usual due to using an acoustic so I could fix the camera more easily. Since joining this site, I’ve been experimenting so much more with different Picks and being focused on the angle of the pick when playing.

I’m going to have a look at the arm/wrist movements so thanks for pointing that out. When I get the chance I’ll post more.
Matt

Just to clarify, I don’t think any of the motions looked excessive or wrong. In fact it all looks very efficient. To me it looks like you alternate between two slightly different orientations of the forearm (hence two slightly different “pickslants”) so that the pick can sweep more easily either up or down.

1 Like

I was looking at it there. Pickslanting is a new concept to me even though it’s quite possible I’ve been doing it before. I may be over exaggerating it now that I know it as a concept.

1 Like

I think you only have to worry if you find you have problems playing certain things. If some specific passage is giving you trouble picking-wise, feel free to post it here and we can determine whether the issue is “overdoing pickslanting” or something else! Otherwise, if things feel comfortable and sound good there’s no real need to correct anything.

1 Like

Wow! Beautiful playing and very smooth and rhythmically consistent! Seems very Gambale-sque with a preference for descending sweeps (upward slant). Do you feel as confident doing scales with ascending sweeps as descending?

3 Likes

If I could play like that I would be extremely happy. You sound amazing.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I am comfortable playing ascending lines but I had to work twice as hard as I have in comparison to descending. In fact it’s something I am very conscious about and put a lot of work into it. I wonder if other players find ascending sweep picking more difficult ?
Well observed by the way.

Thanks for watching. I suppose we’re all here to help develop our techniques and I appreciate all the advice I get.

1 Like

I don’t know about others but for me there has always been a preference depending on the current core motion and setuo. Your setup looks like it would have a preference for downward escape which makes descending sweeping more natural. I used to use a very similar setup and had the same preference. Now a days I have moved to a setup which favors upward escape (in an Yngwie kind of way) and now ascending sweeping is easier and descending is much harder to get smooth and rhythmically even.

You have very good tone on the acoustic. How much edge picking do you use?

1 Like

Again, since joining the site, I had been much more conscious of my edge picking and I have found that with the jazz iii JP pick I can get a better tone that cuts through. I’m defo going to reevaluate my escape motion.

I use a lot of edge picking but again I’m experimenting

1 Like

If I could sweep like that, I’d be done with learning :joy:

Sounds incredible, great articulation, dynamics and accents, all the things that are extra difficult when sweeping… and then even more difficult sweeping on an acoustic.

The Frank Gambale interview has some interesting stuff that would suit your current technique. Also he does some dsx playing, if I remember right, which is worth checking out.

Keep doing whatever it is you are doing. Sounding incredible.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I sometimes find it hard to see any progression in technique, especially as the current pandemic has eradicated any live work and the chance to try these technical adjustments out in a real world setting. I do appreciate anyone taking the time to to listen and feedback, so thank you.
The Gambale interview is exceptional, they all are. I’m massively into meta-cognitive strategies for practice and theres a great interview on this site on that subject.

2 Likes

I think the Brandon Ellis interview will have economcy pcking and sweeping subjects too.

Thank, I’ll check that out. I was actually going to post about recommendations of hybrid style player.

1 Like

If you want hybrid, then Brett Garsed is the master IMO. He was the first person that I knew of using hybrid in a rock style. I’m sure there have been others, but he was the first I saw.

3 Likes

Such a great player. Thanks for the post, I’ll definitely check his technique out

1 Like