Sweet Child o' Mine Improv

Hi. This is an improvisation over the chord progression which I believe can be found at the end of Sweet Child o’ Mine. A lot of other songs use this progression as well.

This is by no means my greatest playing of all time, but what I like about this is all the different escape types I use are some where in the video: USX, DSX, DBX, and mixed escape.

One thing I would like feedback on is the pepsi lick at around 0:55 in the video. The helper motion I’m using for this mixed escape lick isn’t as discrete as Vinnie Moore’s motion. Should I try and make my helper motion more discrete, or stick with what I feel like is working? I wanted to put this lick in the context of a solo so people could see what it looks like with respect to the rest of my playing.

I apologize that this video is some what lengthy. If it gets boring, don’t feel obligated to watch all of it. Again, this isn’t my best playing. I’m not proud of my phrasing here, etc. Basically I warmed up for a few minutes and shot a few takes, and this was the result of that.

Edit: The progression is actually slightly different from Sweet Child o’ Mine. Idk why I was thinking it was the same. I feel like it’s in the ball park though, and I think this progression can be found in quite a few tunes.

3 Likes

Nice playing, dude!

Re: your pepsi lick helper motion…what does Troy always say? If it sounds good, it is good :+1:

I’d see what happens if you push it about 15 bpm faster and see if your motion holds up, may7be??? I feel like a lot of my ‘career’ I played at tempos like this. Let’s be honest, there are HUNDREDS of guitarists out there that would kill to be able to play 6’s at this tempo…but it’s not quite fast enough to tell if a technique really holds up for the “shred zone” :slight_smile: For me, I can get away with not the most efficient technique and play 6’s up to about 108 bpm, still sounding clean. I need to push myself to the 120’s before I can tell if my motion is solid or not. Hope that makes sense!

1 Like

@joebegly

Thank you for your feedback!

I’ll have to try increasing the tempo and see what happens. It will be interesting to see if the motion changes as the tempo goes up.