Swiping 2nps Pentatonic Licks

Hey all, would anyone be kind enough to share their approach/show me a video of themselves swiping some pentatonic licks?

I’ve made a lot of progress recently swiping 3nps diatonic shapes but I’m finding 2nps a lot harder to keep quiet.

The two main phrases I’ve been working on today are the Jimmy Page descending 3s and the repeating 4s lick typically done with two notes on the B string, one on the G string and the final note on the B string.

2nps licks shouldn’t require swiping. Try starting on the opposite pickstroke if you find them difficult to play.

1 Like

I could be wrong but I think @Jacklr means he’s playing a pentatonic pattern where more than 2 notes per string is happening (thought staying within a pattern where, if played as a straight scale, there would only be 2 notes per string). Is that correct @Jacklr? If so I think the title is a little misleading lol

I’m not familiar with either of these licks by name only. Is the JP lick similar to what he does in the second solo in Good Times Bad Times? I’m thinking of a pattern something like this, in Am pentatonic position 1:

|-8-5---5-----------------|
|-----8---8-5--8-5--5-----|
|------------------7--7-5-|
|-------------------------|

That should be totally swipe-able starting on a downstroke, whether USX or DSX (though each would have the swipe in a slightly different place).

I guess more importantly is the main principle of swiping being that you’re doing it on outside string changes. Also, if you’re doing it somewhere that the swiped note hits a muted string where there is a natural harmonic, it’s going to sound messy.

These are all assumptions since I don’t have a total understanding of what you’re playing. I should probably stop giving advice lol! I have heard Troy caution that without seeing what someone is actually doing, advice can be dangerous, because it might not be the correct advice for the situation! Seems wise to me.

Maybe share some tabs or film yourself if you get a chance?