Swiping and ascending 3s with dwps

Hi everyone
Does anyone here use swiping when doing ascending runs in a pattern of threes, While using dwps?

Swiping is not too much talked about… I use it in the ascending runs…it works comfortably when ascending in twos but i am struggling with ascending in threes.
If anyone does it successfully, would you please share TABS showing how you do it.

Thanks alot.

I’m not totally sure I understand what you mean with “patterns of threes” but I’m gonna assume you mean sequencing the scale in threes. :slight_smile:

What scale you are referring to? If it is normal three note per string diatonic scales such as major and minor scales, I just found that changing positions can help with keeping the string changes to all outside picking which makes swiping possible. I’ll see if I can make a video to demonstrate.

If you are referring to the pentatonic scale, there are threads abut that already I think.

How do you ascend in twos?

I am trying to ascend a diatonic scale in a sequence of threes.
I use the swipe when I have to play a single note on the higher string before coming back (swipe allows the one note on higher string to be an up stroke)
However swiping is tough when there is a legato(hammer on) involved right before the swipe.

So i would like to know how others do the ascending diatonic scale in threes.

Thanks

So here is a short attempt at my own version. It requires a USX setup and is chunked in 12-note chunks, all picked, which is quite a big chunk. The idea is to switch positions to always get the string switch to be outside switches. This and the chunking should make it work.

This has proven to be one of the hardest sequences to play cleanly though. There is the back to back swipe that needs to be smooth and silent, as well as a lot of pinky action. Really a super exercise for swiping. I’m gonna put a lot more work into this lick to really get it so sound good, but I think this is definitely playable at higher tempos than this.

Man, this one of the harder ones. Swiping might work, but then you have to have the muting nailed too, otherwise the swipe will sound an uninteded note in certain places.

If I were to play this I would use economy picking so I don’t have to deal with crossing string problems.

Hi
Thanks for the video
I will practise the position switching method.

This is how i had been doing it…with swipes and sometimes legato followed by a swipe
Practised this for months but still no real progress…

What do you think of this way? Should i get rid of this habit?

I think your version sounds good and should work. It get’s rid of some swipes which should make it cleaner sounding. Only things I think of is that it’s less “chunky”, meaning that it doesn’t have the same repetitive movements that can make things easier for speedy playing. Also hammer ons are harder, at least for me, to get to sound right when combining with aggressive picking. Pull offs work better to me.

So my advice is, what ever version you choose (try them all), make sure there are chunks and that you practise the chunk first, before doing the whole scale. In my version above you can repeat the chunk on the same two strings infinitely or move it around the way you want. That opens up a lot of opportunities.

1 Like

Okay, i practised with chunking and position switching…i found it more fluid than how I had been doing it… Will definately adopt it. Thanks!

One more question. How so you go about the descending runs where there is pulloff and not hammer on. Same way with chunking in 12s and position switching?

Ah, great to hear! :slight_smile: I’m happy to help.

Yes, for the descending version you can use the same method of chunking and position shifting. It would be interesting to see what you come up with picking pattern-wise though, as I think there are different ways of picking it. I’m actually kind of undecided about which way I like the most. Descending lines actually sound great when there is a combination of picking and legato. Just listen to Yngwie. There is a fluidity to that sound that matches that falling, flowing notes. But at the same time, I like being able to fully pick stuff.

For demonstration I might do a video later. But if you have time, please make your own version and show us. Your version might be better than mine.

1 Like

Here is a version that keeps the chunking the same all through the scale. I’m not sure it’s the best sounding though as it is partially picked and gets a certain rhythm feel that I’m not sure I like.

Anyway, it’s quite easy to play and consists of picking, pull offs and hammer ons. The sequence is like this:
down, up down, up, pull, hammer,
up, down, up, down, up , pull

I give a swybrid solution to ascending and descending threes in this post.

As an addendum to that post, I have found a swybrid solution for fours, but the position shifts involved can be pretty tough.

2 Likes

Thank you for the video. I like this version; its super quick. Will have to practise the hammer-ons though. I had been doing it with swipes and pull offs. If you start with an upstroke, the whole pattern can he done with swipes and no legato. However, its not as clean sounding and speedy as your version.

Here is a video demonstration… In the first part, i play it how i used to play i.e., with a pull off and a swipe. It doest break down the lick in chuncks though. In the second part, i play it with position switches and chunking. If you start the lick on an upstroke, you can go though it using only swipes.

These are some of the methods I came up with although iam not a 100℅ comfortable with them, especially with the second one.

I have one question on your method… U are making two up-strokes consecutively (before and after the legato) doest that create a bottleneck in high speed as it goes against alternate picking? removing the pull-off will make it down and up again (instead of up and up stroke)… But by the looks of it… The speed is great. So how does that work? :slight_smile:

Thanks alot!

First version sounds great and I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t get it even faster. If you are going to work on the second, position shifting version, you need to be able to play the chunk back to back without interruption. Aslo you need to make sure the notes stay within the scale.

About the to consecutive up-strokes, as there are more than one note between the strokes, there is no speed penalty. Actually, there are three notes in that space, which is very forgiving.

Thanks man, your help will go a long way in my playing.

Hey, sorry to bother you again. I was practising the ascending run with swipes and position switching. With high distortion it creates alot of noise…was wondering if there is another perhaps easier way to do the run?

Yeah I know, it’s very hard to get that amount of swiping clean. I guess that you can replace all the pick strokes that is followed by a swipe, with a hammer on instead. That would be close to what you did in your first video. I’m not sure how that would sound but you at least get rid of the swiping sound.

1 Like