SWYBRYD book by Marshall Harrison

Hi and sorry… English is not my native language…

Anyone bought swybryd book by Marshall Harrison? He is an awesome guitarist you can find on youtube, I was waiting for this book for a year and now the book is avaliable at 47 dollars (very expensive) I would like to read about the book before purchasing it… What songs are included? How many pages? is the right hand fully notated? is there some mistakes? Well guys if you have some info please tell me…

I bought guitar book 1 and guitar book 2 in the past.

Thank you guys.

1 Like

It’s basically his notebook. I find it valuable for analyzing Marshall’s approaches, but it’s not as organized as other more polished works. No method, per se. Kind of DIY, but that may be just the thing. $47 is not much for a person’s world view.

[Edit: Did he just release a new one? Perhaps provide a link so we’re not guessing which one is referred to? Thanks (I apparently have School of Legato)]

So totally different book. On the surface, much more polished. Haven’t perused yet.

Chris Brooks just came out with a new book on Legato Technique. One of the topics discussed is SWYBRYD. At about a third of the price, it might be worth checking out.

Available on amazon, but also as PDF.

I don’t have this particular book, as it just came out, but his books are generally of high quality.

1 Like

Thank you guys.

Can you tell me what songs are included? and…How many pages?

46 pages. This is more method than what I described about the previous book. Examples are drawn from various sources. Not really a songbook?

“”“Like I said at first comment, English is not my native language so… Sorry.”""

Well guys, finally I bought Swybryd book and in my opinion it does NOT worth 47 dollars.
Inside it we can find :

Music from beethoven, Chopin, Listz, Rachmaninov, toccata by Widor, Bach, etc. The problem is extracts are very small in my opinion, just a few notes in many cases.

We can also find some scales distributed in 4 notes per string, a small Gambale’s excerpt, “Robo Roo”, a paul gilbert lick, Becker’s serrana,

Also Joseph Wieniawski’s Etude 13 op. 44 for piano … I’m not sure if Marshall was wrong to write a number, but I’m unable to find this work on youtube or google. (if you can help me to find this music, please…let me know)

At the end of the book we can find a full Swybryd version of Eugene’s Trick Bag.

Some names of musical works are poorly written, for example, Marshall writes “Abinato by Listz” but should have named it as “Ab Irato”

I also found errors in transcriptions … for example some arpeggios of Ab Irato.

It is true that there are 46 pages, but there is a lot of unnecessary text, written with a very large font that contrasts with the small tabs.

Some tabulations have errors, this is the most painful … There are not many but there they are.

Some tabulations are poorly written, some of them indicate, in addition to the frets that we must press, if we must use pick up or down but in many others these indications are not, and it is confusing!!! because on swybryd you should use also right hand fingers.

Marshall also commented in one of his videos a music of Bach that he always played in his videos, would appear in the book, but the work is not there!

Some people wrote to Marshall in the comments of his videos commenting on certain errors in his book (such as the mistake he commented above about Ab Irato), however some of those comments have disappeared, and the book has not been corrected.

As I said at the beginning this book is not worth 47 dollars, but it is true that it is good to understand his “swybryd” technique. However, in my opinion it is not necessary at all, since you can learn by watching your videos in slow motion and writing the tabs yourself if necessary.

If anyone have any question about this book… I will try to help.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review Jose. Seems I’ll probably pass on this one. Marshall could use the services of a professional music editor, especially at this asking price - over $1 per page!

The J. Wieniawski Etude may be correctly labeled, he did compose 24 Etudes de mécanisme et de style Op. 44 (only one complete recording is available to my knowledge). I’ve never seen the score, it’s likely very rare - no pianists play this music lol. There are some excerpts included in this dissertation.

Thank you for you info.

He played the Wieniawski Etude today, haha

Look at video at 1:02:03